Honored Contributor

The numbering of posts - question for QVC

Question for Brittany or any other QVC moderator:

Why does an original post say 30 of 30 (or whatever number of replies there are) when it is, in fact, the first post and therefore should be number 1 of however many responses there are (if any).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: The numbering of posts - question for QVC

Hi, Homegirl.  I'm just a member, but your question interested me.

I went to a thread with multiple posts.  First I sorted new to old, then I sorted old to new.  Using your example of 30 posts:  In both cases, the first post that was displayed was 1 of 30, the next was 2 of 30, and so forth down to the bottom which was 30 of 30.

That is, the numbering of the posts is done according to the display, top to bottom.  It's not done according to the time of the post. 

So if you display the thread new on top-old on bottom, the original post is  at the bottom and is number 30 of 30.  If, however you display the thread old on top-new on bottom, the original post is at the top and is number 1 of 30.

HTH

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's interesting because I had (on the first day) set my preferences to always show newest first, but still get the wrong way around on the numbering.

Strange.

Respected Contributor

Homegirl, I, too, have found that the preferences I set don't always work.  I don't know why they sometimes don't. 

You have to be logged in for them to work, though.  Sometime I get logged out (again, I don't know why).  So if preferences are not working, first check to be sure you're logged in.  But, they still might not work--mine sometimes don't work even though I'm logged in.  Crazy.

Hang in there, as will I.

Honored Contributor

You're right - I did make sure I was logged in.

Still hanging in there!  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

That's interesting because I had (on the first day) set my preferences to always show newest first, but still get the wrong way around on the numbering.

Strange.

Homegirl, that fits what Nomless is saying.  I have my preferences set up just like you - newest first.  So the numbering makes that most recent post #1, instead of making the original post #1.  Counterintuitive, and very aggravating to me.  It seems that the only way the numbering is correct is if you set preferences for oldest first.  Then the oldest post (the original post) becomes #!.  I REALLY don't like it.Woman Indifferent  (And I don't like these stupid emoties either!)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor

Also, make sure you scroll to the very bottom of the settings page to save the changes. Maybe you made the change for sort order, but missed the save button?