Honored Contributor

Re: The Phone Calls

[ Edited ]

One of the many reasons I only look online and never watch live. You can spend an entire hour and only see 5-6 items sometimes. I feel like I am wasting time. The phone calls are nice, but awkward for both caller and host in most cases.I am guessing the hosts wouldn’t mind if they did away with them either. The social media stuff is also a time-waster. FB is sort of passé now anyway.

Respected Contributor

Remember when Tova was on QVC selling her products someone always had to call in with some silly story about how people always approached them and raved about the Tova perfume.  

I no longer wear perfume but when I did no one ever stopped me on the street to ask me what fragrance I was wearing.  

So many of those calls seemed so phony.   

Trusted Contributor

"Let's go to the phones!" 

Me:   "click"

Respected Contributor

I see no reason whatsoever for the phone calls.

- Unnecessary chit chat? Yep.

- Ego boost for the designer or the host? Yep.

Need additional information of any kind about a product, call customer service.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@countrylady  I remember a caller talking to Lisa Mason.  The caller was mentioning the brands she loved QVC selling and talked about "Maggie Sweet" which was a brand from HSN.  Lisa just nodded and looked blank.  An uncomfortable moment and one of the many reasons I don't listen to callers anymore!

Honored Contributor

I don't care for the phone calls either. Most of the callers go off on a tangent, and the host has to cut them off by saying, "We'll have your order on its way to you soon. Buh-bye."

The gushing phone calls must cause a spike in sales. The only way the Q will discontinue them is if they stop increasing their sales numbers.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

How about when the host tells the caller to "call back any time"? As if you just call in and chat with the host "any time".  Such malarky. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

Phone calls are an immediate "mute" for me.  I also agree with the poster who said they'd rather see the product than the host's face during a phone call.  

Respected Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

How about when the host tells the caller to "call back any time"? As if you just call in and chat with the host "any time".  Such malarky. 

And often that disengenous line comes after the caller says "I've been shopping here 25 years and finally got to talk to you." No one gets to just pick up the phone and chat with a host. Rubbish. But as another poster mentioned, as long as these calls encourage sales, they will "go to the phones." I do feel sorry for some of the callers when they are so isolated that QVC is a substitute for regular social interaction. 

Trusted Contributor

I rarely listen to the Q anymore - I keep it on mute - but those calls where customers would start crying, or tell their sad stories ... I remember when hosts would tell them "we are here for you, to keep you company" and the like, but I get more out of the written reviews.  Especially with beauty:  no 70-year-old (I am 63) is going to look 50 with argan oil.  Sorry.  Not going to happen.