Regular Contributor

Tax on shipping & handling !

I am upset and feel absolutely stupid that I have not caught this.  Today my husband had me order my b. day gift from QVC.  I handed him the printed receipt after ordering and he said "are you aware that we are paying tax on shipping & handling"?  I was astounded.  I looked and he was right.  When I think of the thousands of $$ I have spent and paid taxes on shipping & handling it almost made me sick.  I canceled the order for my purse.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tax on shipping & handling !

You don't order online much do you?  It's not just QVC.

Valued Contributor

"Shipping is not taxable if listed separately, but handling is taxable. So when you have a combined shipping and handling charge, shipping becomes taxable."

Regular Contributor

I do.....and it makes me sick.  No more ordering unless the shipping & handling is free.

Honored Contributor

If you're charged for shipping and handling, it's because it's the law in your state.  Take your anger out on your state legislators, not QVC.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Islandqueen1, direct your husband's attention to the sales tax laws in YOUR state. Q has to follow the tax laws for each state.
Trusted Contributor

Yep. California  10%.

Honored Contributor

Here in PA we pay tax on shipping and handling.  It’s our state’s  tax law that allows it.

Honored Contributor

OP:  Surely you know that QVC is obligated by state laws as to what is taxed and what is not.  SMH.

Honored Contributor

We pay tax on s/h here in Ohio.  It's the law.