Honored Contributor

@circles wrote:

I have to go with SPURT here......if you are selling a product ...its your job to put a positive spin on it no matter whether you like...use it...have tons of it...or wouldn't think of buying it....

A good salesperson never gives out negative vibes...she/he is being paid to sell....make you want to purchase...get you to that phone...and your wallet...not make you question...if the seller doesn't use...the product...do i really want it...you don't want your prospective buyer to stop and question the purchase

I agree here.  You don't have to lie to be enthusiastic about a product and happily point out its good features.  The ones who "I don't wear this" about fashion give out the "vibe" that "It's ok for YOU but not good enough for me" about some item.  There is not point in saying that, because it is in many ways a put-down.

I agree 100 percent that someone who does NOT have the enthusiasm for fashion (and I'm talking fashion as most women wear it, need it, and live in it) is not someone who most women will gladly watch.  I don't understand quirky negative fashion hosts.

But then I never did understand the allure of our former fashion host either.  

What I think they need (PERSONAL OPINION HERE) is a younger Mary Beth.  Someone a little perkier, but someone who is beautiful like she is, isn't a me me me person, who has a family and a job and does things (other than jet off to fabulous foreigh countries and post endless pictures of them) that most of us can relate to.

Jayne Brown comes to mind as someone much like this.  But I think Q needs to do a real search for someone like that.  Mary Beth 2.0 so to speak. . . LOL!!

Esteemed Contributor

I vote for a new fashion host.  Preferably female who is wearing the clothes she's selling...articulate and describes items in detail including measurements.

Along with the new host, I would like to see more classic styles return to QVC's fashion inventory.  Even when I tune in to watch the watchable hosts, I find myself turning the channel because of the merchandise. 

Honored Contributor

Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE!!!

[ Edited ]

@millieshops @Melania @SFGIANTSGIRL@Havarti

From QVC trainer.........If you tell people you don't like it how can you EXCITE OTHERS or tell them what you love about a product that you LOVE and so will they!!

HILARY: What if someone has NO hosting or on-camera experience but wants to give it a try? What would you tell them?
MARK: By all means, try! I had zero experience and auditioned on a whim. I was on-air two days later and remained on-air for 9 years (results not typical). If you have product or category expertise, are able to explain and demonstrate product in a meaningful way and can excite others about the item you are presenting, please audition! We would love to give you the opportunity to engage and educate our viewers. Check out the QVC careers page to learn how to submit.

HILARY: In the home shopping TV industry, do you find it’s helpful to have a sales background? Can that make up for a lack of TV experience? Are some people you see just naturals?
MARK: I can’t speak for the other networks, but for us, having a sales background is not a prerequisite for success. The people who come on-air here are just that … people. They are people who engage, educate and share what they know
and love about a product.

http://hilaryrusso.com/blog/2014/08/05/life-in-the-home-shopping-tv-industry-becoming-an-on-air-gues...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Well I'd prefer a host who is honest over one that lies, but then again I'd really like a shopping channel with integrity.  QVC's numbers don't look so hot.

Respected Contributor

When I scanned over today's item "recently on air", I thought to myself..."I am SO over QVC". Nothing that I would waste $$ on.  I rarely see any clothing that appeals to me anymore. If you're in to the "bag lady" look, then ok, but not for me. Over priced gadgets, unwatchable hosts, & same ole things over & OVER, it's just boring. 

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt

Oh my goodness!  For you to be this worked up it must be very important to you.  You are researching for support to your position, putting things in bold, in CAPS, in red, underlining.  It is only shopping…not worth getting that worked up over it.  You’ve got your opinions, other have different opinions…it is OK if people differ. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I think we want a host to present bags/pants or anything without a disclaimer that "I am not a bags/pants or jewelry girl" don't we?

or why are you selling them.  Just sell the item with out injecting your negative feelings,

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

When I scanned over today's item "recently on air", I thought to myself..."I am SO over QVC". Nothing that I would waste $$ on.  I rarely see any clothing that appeals to me anymore. If you're in to the "bag lady" look, then ok, but not for me. Over priced gadgets, unwatchable hosts, & same ole things over & OVER, it's just boring. 

sad to say it's true  :-(

Honored Contributor

I don't think it would  hurt to rotate hosts around once in a while. It would make it more interesting to the viewer, and you might find that some hosts are a better fit for certain products. JMO.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes I think telling us they don't like something is part of the sales schtick.  They say something like, "I don't like to wear earrings/pants, but I would wear these."  They do that on food shows too like it makes the item more appealing if it can convert someone who wouldn't usually want something like that.