Super Contributor

Re: Standing with Ankles or Legs Crossed? Ummm...What???

If you are standing for hours at a time, it is often more comfortable.

Respected Contributor

It must be some new modeling trick. I see the ladies do it on the TODAY SHOW also.

Occasional Contributor

I just noticed that recently. I tried it. It sure wasn't very comfortable for me!

Super Contributor

Edie Brickell has been doing that for years.

Respected Contributor

On 1/20/2014 Scorpios said:

It's the model stance, it's supposed to make you look thinner on camera and in pictures.

Lisa's model stance is to throw one hip way out and stand there looking deformed.

Don't worry, be Happy!
New Contributor

I agree, They all look ridiculous! Can someone please ask the female hosts to stop standing that way???? They DO NOT look thinner if that is why they are doing this. Who gave that advice to them??? To the viewer it looks just plain silly.

Esteemed Contributor

@JMW wrote:

I agree, They all look ridiculous! Can someone please ask the female hosts to stop standing that way???? They DO NOT look thinner if that is why they are doing this. Who gave that advice to them??? To the viewer it looks just plain silly.

@JMW, since this thread is two years old and judging by your post the female hosts are still standing the same way if they haven't been ordered to change by now I doubt they will be asked to do so.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I've seen this odd pose for quite a few years and first noticed it with "Starlets" being photographed in their outfits for magazines, etc.  Then it became the only stance.... I swear because I was then looking for it and ALL of them did it.  I found it fascinating in a very odd, awkward way.  Although I've seen "the stance" lessen up a bit in the magazines I get.... it's still around, LOL.... and now our very own models are doing it.

I agree.... my first thought is they have to pee.... ROFL.... and I don't think the stance is flattering at all..... Woman Indifferent

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Contributor

Not to judge the hosts. They can stand in any way they want. But I watched a TED Talk in which Harvard professor Amy Cuddy talked about power poses. And crossing your ankles or legs makes you smaller physically (e.g., you take up less space). We can come across better to others and even have internal benefits when we take up more space, rather than less.

Esteemed Contributor

I just started noticing just about every woman on TV doing this.  There must be a memo...ha!  It looks silly and affected to me,especially since they're all doing it now.  But maybe as someone said,they have to use the restroom.  Lol.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth