Contributor

Sizes selling out in a nano second

Why or Why do xxs , xs,s sizes sell out so fast?  They are gone and the medium to 5X are left and never sell?  It doesn't matter what clothing brand it is, it happens so many times while I am sitting there trying to decide which size would fit me the best because they are different. Why don't the bring it more of the smaller sizes? Just curious.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sizes selling out in a nano second

Probably because sizes selling out creates urgency and demand.

Honored Contributor

Ive noticed that the 4 and 5X seem to sell out first.  It often appears that less of those sizes are stocked and they're often gone immediately during the first airing, if not before.  Maybe it just seems that what one ifs looking for is the first to go.

When items are on clearance, usually the very small sizes are all they have.  If I'm doing a search on older merchandise, often small sizes are the only options.  I've wondered why they order so many.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brady2 wrote:

Why or Why do xxs , xs,s sizes sell out so fast?  They are gone and the medium to 5X are left and never sell?  It doesn't matter what clothing brand it is, it happens so many times while I am sitting there trying to decide which size would fit me the best because they are different. Why don't the bring it more of the smaller sizes? Just curious.

@brady2 @I don't find what you say to be the case all the way around. I do know that Q buys more stock in the more commonly worn sizes, so that's why there's more left in S,M, L. I know that sizes XSM and 4X sell out very quickly and Q needs to buy more in these sizes. XXS and 5X are originally brought in, in lower quantities, sometimes they take longer to sell out because there are far fewer customers in those sizes, but sometimes they sell out quickly, especially in styles that are better suited for each of those two ends of the size range. One thing for sure is that 4X sells out first in tops, except in white. In white tops, the smallest sizes sell out first. Many larger women feel white makes them look larger and they don't buy as much in this color.

Trusted Contributor

I do agree with you @brady2. This is my theory, since I am an XXS-Small I notice the availability more than I would with the 4x that @Mindy D states. 

QVC has vanity sizing which I don't believe anybody can disagree with. I am in no way an XXS or an XS in store sizing. For that reason, many "normal" small and medium size ladies, and in many cases a true size large, will purchase a much smaller size at QVC. I've seen many, many reviews that state they ordered a medium and had to return for a small or at times even an XS. So, not only are the true XXS and XS persons ordering these sizes, but the small and medium, sometimes large, ladies are also ordering these much smaller sizes. 

Esteemed Contributor

You know what? I noticed that too! When I go to look for an item that I may be purchase, my size is always gone. They have tons of mediums and larges, but the smaller size is still out so quickly. 

Respected Contributor

Some of the "sellouts" are fake, phony and fraudulent manufacturerings by the producers.

Case in point:  Jane Treacy's first Studio Park dress that was celebrated as a "sellout", but had many for sale later.

Trusted Contributor

I disagree with Exec Mr Wilkes. There would be no purpose for a company to "fake" sell out. They WANT to sell everything. From information I have read and been told, the reason an item will become available the next day or two is due to credit from a customer. If for some reason their CC was denied or they cancelled their order, the item then becomes available.

There is no reason QVC would withhold sales for fake reasons. Makes no sense. However, I do agree that the producers are stretching it when they say "the red is almost sold out" or "hurry and get it because it will sell out before tonight's show", etc. There's a difference between not offering the item because it's sold out and stating an item WILL sell out if you don't hurry and buy. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was absolutely faked.

Jane had to shine and have her place in the sun.

Orchestrated,  with phony order placements, if need be.

My own assessment,  of course.

Respected Contributor

@Commoner Exec Mr Wilkes 

I read there was a sellout and Jane had tears, I didn't watch, but out of curiosity I looked up the dress the next day and there was plenty left.  I assume she was getting updates as it was presented and people changed their minds before actually purchasing, or cancelled shortyly after.