New Contributor

Shop by Shape ie Apple, Pear, Hourglass etc.

Hello,  I am an apple shape and know lots of ladies that are the same.  It would be so helpful if items were so labeled or modeled by those of the same shape while talking about it.  I have had to return items that were not flattering on me but stunning on an hour glass model.  More information is better.  Thank you Pat for pointing out your shape and those of some of the clothes and trying to help the consumer make smart decisions.!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shop by Shape ie Apple, Pear, Hourglass etc.

Woman LOL @SusieV I'm not laughing at your idea because it makes sense.  The laugh is directed at the retail industry, and the sales pitch they like to push-- which is: all of us can wear everything.  Occasionally someone may mention body shape as opposed to the actual size in reference to clothing, but it's probably not encouraged.  

Honored Contributor

You sound like an adult and you've been wearing clothes for a long time and I am 100% certain that you know what flatters and fits your body....you don't need a model for that.  If you are an apple, you already know that things will waists don't work for you.  You already know that pencil skirts and body hugging clothes don't work for you.  You don't need a model for that.  You need what all the rest of us with figure challenges need; you need to be realistic.  I've been everywhere from a size 32 to a size 12 and I learned early that don't have the luxury of buying something just because it comes in my size or just because I want it or because looks good on someone else.  I am a size 14/16 now but my challege is the same.  I have a large butt and full thighs.  There, it's out there....lol   Yes, there are lovely size L models but they are not built like me.  I can't look at one of them and think that an item will fit me the way it fits them.  There are no pencils skirts in this world that are going to work for me in my size or any size.   I can't wear anything that has a very slim cut.  That's the way it is with you.  You are having a hard time with fit because you are buying things that just don't work for your body type.  Apple is the absolute hardest shape to fit, regardless of size.  I have a friend who has the same issue.  She's a size 12 but she's round through out the middle. Somebody today mentioned Melissa McCarthy's line, funny that this would come up today but my friend buys Melissa McCarthy dresses because most are designed for apple figures.  Which, of course, Melissa McCarthy was before she lost weight.  She probably still is. She also buys from the Roaman's and Woman Within both of which start at size 12 now.  I shop QVC and Evine and I love the experience but when I hear "this fits close to the body" or "slim cut".....I back away, it's just not going to work for me. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You sound like an adult and you've been wearing clothes for a long time and I am 100% certain that you know what flatters and fits your body....you don't need a model for that.  If you are an apple, you already know that things will waists don't work for you.  You already know that pencil skirts and body hugging clothes don't work for you.  You don't need a model for that.  You need what all the rest of us with figure challenges need; you need to be realistic.  I've been everywhere from a size 32 to a size 12 and I learned early that don't have the luxury of buying something just because it comes in my size or just because I want it or because looks good on someone else.  I am a size 14/16 now but my challege is the same.  I have a large butt and full thighs.  There, it's out there....lol   Yes, there are lovely size L models but they are not built like me.  I can't look at one of them and think that an item will fit me the way it fits them.  There are no pencils skirts in this world that are going to work for me in my size or any size.   I can't wear anything that has a very slim cut.  That's the way it is with you.  You are having a hard time with fit because you are buying things that just don't work for your body type.  Apple is the absolute hardest shape to fit, regardless of size.  I have a friend who has the same issue.  She's a size 12 but she's round through out the middle. Somebody today mentioned Melissa McCarthy's line, funny that this would come up today but my friend buys Melissa McCarthy dresses because most are designed for apple figures.  Which, of course, Melissa McCarthy was before she lost weight.  She probably still is. She also buys from the Roaman's and Woman Within both of which start at size 12 now.  I shop QVC and Evine and I love the experience but when I hear "this fits close to the body" or "slim cut".....I back away, it's just not going to work for me. 

Why have models at all if we all know exactly what works for us?  Seeing & knowing what body type a garment looks good on can be helpful for many.

I think the OP's idea is a good one.  Any tips that could help us choose clothing items can only be helpful.

Often I will try something new...something that I never would have before & guess what?...it can actually look good!..something that I didn't think could work and it's nice to try new looks.  Yes I know certain items definitely will not look good on my apple shape but sometimes by trying something new you never know what could be a pleasant surprise!

Super Contributor

@SusieV wrote:

Hello,  I am an apple shape and know lots of ladies that are the same.  It would be so helpful if items were so labeled or modeled by those of the same shape while talking about it.  I have had to return items that were not flattering on me but stunning on an hour glass model.  More information is better.  Thank you Pat for pointing out your shape and those of some of the clothes and trying to help the consumer make smart decisions.!

I love this suggestion! I think it would be helpful if there was more discussion on body type/ fit during the presentations.

Esteemed Contributor

Good idea.  Nordstorms offers or use to have this feature on their website.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello, ladies!  That's how I style everyone at the boutique where I work!  

As many of you know, I have taught Clothing 1, and 2,  and Tayloring.  

What you are speaking of is "What Not To Wear" revisited.

The goal is always "Long and Lean".  

I am a true hour glass.  I have a very small waist, and am one of the very few that can wear a belt.  Being an hour glass, we have heavier thighs.  We are the shape that never buys narrow leg capris because they make the hip seem more wide.  We buy a straight leg.

I'll be glad to help anyone if they will let me know.

Regular Contributor

I vote for typing clothing by shape.  I'm an apple too.  Most of the QVC clothing is built to pear shaped figures ... especially the pants.  Oh dear, if they fit in the waist, the hips are so huge that they look like clown pants and you look bigger than you are.  If you size down for the hip, the waist can be snug.  Oh dear, no more online pant shopping for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great idea!  Btw, I believe Jane T. is an apple shape (?), so whatever looks good on her might look nice on O/P, too.  Just a thought, of course.  .............  Oh, wait!  Maybe Jane is a pear shape (?).  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).