Honored Contributor

Selling of Spiritual Jewelry

There's something l don't understand:  Why is religion and spirituality one of the subjects that's not allowed to be discussed on these boards, and yet it is used by Shawn to sell product??

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Selling of Spiritual Jewelry

Interesting observation. I guess where $$$ are concerned the lines get blurred. Clearly the items are selling, though not to me.

I'm very uncomfortable with Shawn's (and also with Dan Wheeler's and sometimes even Mary Beth Rowe's) overt religiousity, though she hides her's under a more neutral "spirituality." And, even after all these months, I'm still shocked when she mentions the child she lost (surprised that QVC allows her these kind of highly personal moments, not that she continues to grieve.) In my opinion, best saved for your personal (not QVC) facebook page. 

I do think that we're in the minority.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Contributor

I think I will defend Shawn, Dan and Marybeth here.  Yes, they clearly have some religious background and shoppers are going to buy some of the items that QVC sells.  However, I think that allowing the hosts to express their points of view on of the potential meanings of items that they are presenting is quite different from opening up the wormhole that inevitably occurs when you have the general public discussing their religious viewpoints.  Just my humble opinion.  And I also think that Shawn handles herself very well when confronted with very difficult situations. 

Honored Contributor

Is spiritually per se outlawed?   It seems to me there are new threads almost everyday asking for prayers for all kinds of reasons and many of those threads become quite long.

What am I missing?

By the way -  I have no interest in jewelry or home decor objects that are religiously oriented. Personal reasons not at all related to this discussion.

Honored Contributor

Because selling it on the air isn't going to cause fighting or people on one side putting down people on the other side the way talking about religion does on forums.

That's not really hard to figure out, is it? This question is just here to stir the pot.

Respected Contributor

@vacc wrote:

I think I will defend Shawn, Dan and Marybeth here.  Yes, they clearly have some religious background and shoppers are going to buy some of the items that QVC sells.  However, I think that allowing the hosts to express their points of view on of the potential meanings of items that they are presenting is quite different from opening up the wormhole that inevitably occurs when you have the general public discussing their religious viewpoints.  Just my humble opinion.  And I also think that Shawn handles herself very well when confronted with very difficult situations. 

There is a fine line between hosts that mention their beliefs and those who use it to sell a product.  I know Mary Beth and Dan are very religious but they don't use that as a selling tactic. 

As for Shawn's handling difficult situations (if you mean callers) she sort of invites that type of call because of her selling tactics. 

I have nothing against Shawn, she seems like a very nice person but I believe a person's belief should be personal.  But, that's just my belief.

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Because selling it on the air isn't going to cause fighting or people on one side putting down people on the other side the way talking about religion does on forums.

That's not really hard to figure out, is it? This question is just here to stir the pot.

Yes, this is certainly true, but doesn't diminish the idea of discussing the larger question of religion on air at QVC. Some of us feel that it's out of place, others do not. My personal feelings aside, clearly sales will be the deciding factor! 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I don't think the OP meant it to "stir the pot".  I think it's a legitmate question and I would be curious as to QVC's reply.  (If there ever is one.)

Honored Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Yes, this is certainly true, but doesn't diminish the idea of discussing the larger question of religion on air at QVC. Some of us feel that it's out of place, others do not. My personal feelings aside, clearly sales will be the deciding factor! 

I don't get this. QVC is a business, not a government institution. There's so separation of church and business in the constitution and many stores sell crosses and inspirational/spiritual jewelry.

It's not my thing, but I see no reason to call it "out of place." It's not the Ten Commandments on the courthouse lawn.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

There's something l don't understand:  Why is religion and spirituality one of the subjects that's not allowed to be discussed on these boards, and yet it is used by Shawn to sell product??

...because those items bring in the $$$$.  But discussions about faith and religion always degenerate into fighting and name calling.  Always.