Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: SUGGESTION: Forum names - a page from Amazon's book

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@dooBdoo, how can a poster show posts that number in the 50s by their name when posting, but when you click on their activity by poster name it shows one single post and no others?

Hmmmmm......

Hi, again, @Moonchilde!    That means most of the person's posts were deleted.   When a post is removed, it doesn't change our post count.   (Easy way to see one...  look at any of the infamous "Poehler" nicknames as an example.)

Ahhhhhh. Thanks, @dooBdoo. That tells me aaaaaall I need to know 😉

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

Thanks for the "sock pocket" explaination.  I spend most of my time on the IRC side of the web.  Sock Pocket is not the term those folks use.  Multies & Trolls I believe are the terms they use.

I just love that name.  Going to be my new nick on a few IRC channels. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@dooBdoo

Thanks for the "sock pocket" explaination.  I spend most of my time on the IRC side of the web.  Sock Pocket is not the term those folks use.  Multies & Trolls I believe are the terms they use.

I just love that name.  Going to be my new nick on a few IRC channels. Smiley Tongue

You're welcome, @Mz iMac!   The expression "sock puppet" has been in use for maybe 20 years or so.    I used to help moderate a forum, many years back, and that's the most common term used by the techs.    However...  sock "pocket" isn't something I've ever heard of.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

doh.gifI meant Sock Puppet. doh.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@dooBdoo

doh.gifI meant Sock Puppet. doh.gif

Hey, @Mz iMac, who knows...  you might've coined a new expression!    Or it could be an invention for Shark Tank!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

283917.gif

Valued Contributor

Image result for animated sock puppet

I love the 'sock puppet' reference.   This is what he's saying:

"Really, who care about someone's nic, who they are, if they possess several names, if they changed it, have more than 2 or 3 accounts, or even "heart themselves".

This is just a shopping channel forum--life will go on."

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@dooBdoo

You're welcome, @Mz iMac!   The expression "sock puppet" has been in use for maybe 20 years or so.    I used to help moderate a forum, many years back, and that's the most common term used by the techs.    However...  sock "pocket" isn't something I've ever heard of.

I'd say it's been around about that, @dooBdoo. It started being used on good ol' Listserv groups as far back as the early-mid 90s and I'm not sure it was "new new" then.

Honored Contributor

@mercyMe wrote:

Image result for animated sock puppet

"Really, who care about someone's nic, who they are, if they possess several names, if they changed it, have more than 2 or 3 accounts, or even "heart themselves".

It matters only when the multiple identities are used to deliberately disrupt and troll discussion groups and forums for the sole purpose of causing trouble. Posters who have been online for many years recognize what's going on, but the more naive do not. They are being taken for a ride and played with for the amusement of others.

No big deal, right? Well, not for me, I know (cough) one when I see one 🙂 but for the innocent and for the moderators, a PIT* - which is of course what they want to be.

Things must be slow elsewhere. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@mercyMe wrote:

It matters only when the multiple identities are used to deliberately disrupt and troll discussion groups and forums for the sole purpose of causing trouble. Posters who have been online for many years recognize what's going on, but the more naive do not. They are being taken for a ride and played with for the amusement of others.

No big deal, right? Well, not for me, I know (cough) one when I see one 🙂 but for the innocent and for the moderators, a PIT* - which is of course what they want to be.

Things must be slow elsewhere. 

I agree, @Moonchilde,  with your points about when/why it matters.   I would add that it's not a requirement to care, but I suppose people also might care because it's dishonest to use extra nicknames if the practice is prohibited by the forum's policies.   Also, learning about the psychology of those who enjoy trolling, deception, and creating disruption is interesting (to me, anyway).   Even though some like to say it's "just" a shopping channel chat forum, real people are on the other side of these nicknames and for the most part probably want to believe they're posting with other people of good character, people with integrity, and that they're not being intentionally manipulated by someone perpetuating a ruse.    I do agree, life will go on.