Honored Contributor

Re: SUGGESTION: Forum names - a page from Amazon's book

@Moonchilde

2dtx9wl.gif2dtx9wl.gif @ sock puppet.  I have never heard that "forum/message board" expression before.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@dooBdoo, then I guess every single one I've checked has signed up with a different email address than their original. Certainly possible, but odd. If one is not intending to deceive, not sure why they would feel the need to create a new email address or use a completely different email address than their original.

That would have to be the case, signed up with a different email address.   If I knew the cases you were looking at, I could probably explain them you...  but I know we can't do that here.    All I can say is I do know how the software works and it's one email address per QVC account, one nickname with that specific account, and changing the nik as I mentioned will always alter it via the hyperlink once the person signs out and then back in.   I wanted to add:  I do know of a few occasions when some posters couldn't remember their login info, or they lost access to the email account they'd been using for QVC, or other technical problems cropped up, so they did create a new QVC account with a new email address and had to abandon the older nickname/account.   And certainly they're not trying to deceive anyone.

And that's an important point - only ONE email address (thus one nic) per person.

"Only one email address per person and only one screen name per email address are permitted."

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

In the way, way past here (I'd say maybe close to 10 years ago), before a lot of posters were aware of this, there were a few who were caught changing their ID and pretending they were somebody new.    What busted them was their previous posts being changed to reflect the new ID.  oops!   Smiley Wink

Now, I believe that those who use multiple IDs probably just use a lot of free email addresses like yahoo, etc.   They must have to write a lot of suff down to keep up with themselves.  ha!   Smiley Happy

I'll never get the draw of this.  It's hard enough just being me.  I couldn't play multiple parts if I tried.  I'd probably be busted in a hot second.  

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@dooBdoo, then I guess every single one I've checked has signed up with a different email address than their original. Certainly possible, but odd. If one is not intending to deceive, not sure why they would feel the need to create a new email address or use a completely different email address than their original.

That would have to be the case, signed up with a different email address.   If I knew the cases you were looking at, I could probably explain them you...  but I know we can't do that here.    All I can say is I do know how the software works and it's one email address per QVC account, one nickname with that specific account, and changing the nik as I mentioned will always alter it via the hyperlink once the person signs out and then back in.   I wanted to add:  I do know of a few occasions when some posters couldn't remember their login info, or they lost access to the email account they'd been using for QVC, or other technical problems cropped up, so they did create a new QVC account with a new email address and had to abandon the older nickname/account.   And certainly they're not trying to deceive anyone.

And that's an important point - only ONE email address (thus one nic) per person.

"Only one email address per person and only one screen name per email address are permitted."

The one screen name per email address is simple to comply with. It's the "one email address per PERSON" that *should* be a violation. But if a poster "creates" a "new person", how would that ever be verifiable or checkable unless IP address matched 100% of the time. There isn't any way to "know" whether it's three different *bodies* or just three different personas.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

In the way, way past here (I'd say maybe close to 10 years ago), before a lot of posters were aware of this, there were a few who were caught changing their ID and pretending they were somebody new.    What busted them was their previous posts being changed to reflect the new ID.  oops!   Smiley Wink

Now, I believe that those who use multiple IDs probably just use a lot of free email addresses like yahoo, etc.   They must have to write a lot of suff down to keep up with themselves.  ha!   Smiley Happy

I'll never get the draw of this.  It's hard enough just being me.  I couldn't play multiple parts if I tried.  I'd probably be busted in a hot second.  

@chickenbutt - you cracked the code! I had my suspicions, but then I just started to observe. And yes, she does trip up and then that nic disappears for awhile. Very similar writing patterns and the mean streak that explodes when exposed. There is a draw or payoff that most of us would never understand or relate, thank goodness! 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Valued Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@chickenbutt - you cracked the code! I had my suspicions, but then I just started to observe. And yes, she does trip up and then that nic disappears for awhile. Very similar writing patterns and the mean streak that explodes when exposed. There is a draw or payoff that most of us would never understand or relate, thank goodness! 

I was a moderator for a couple of years - though I am uncertain what permissions are granted to each moderator here, as it can very as to what they may do or see-However, they can see a great deal of information-IP, location, program running on your computer, service provider, etc.none of us are private to the moderators-Even if a poster is savvy enough to tinker with their routers, it is not a given that the router does not use the same path-using cell phones, a bit more difficult, but still traceable. There are also programs that can be used to trace paths etc.-

As well, people can also use proxy servers which do a very good job of allowing-anonymity- Still, as mentioned, you would need several addresses-

We were very guarded about letting the forum know what the moderators could see, because people tend to be paranoid.

If the behavior isn't threatening, often times it isn't dealt with.  We used to have a forty year old man who would post as a 16 year old kid talking about his grandfather-He was actually pretty good!

There are enough posts on this website that they may not take the time to research the posters in question-I mean really, some of these threads are the equivalent to a short novel Smiley Happy Exhausting.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo, how can a poster show posts that number in the 50s by their name when posting, but when you click on their activity by poster name it shows one single post and no others?

Hmmmmm......

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Moonchilde

2dtx9wl.gif2dtx9wl.gif @ sock puppet.  I have never heard that "forum/message board" expression before.

It's a term that's been in used for quite a while (to my knowledge) @Mz iMac.   Simply an internet identity (usually the multiple-nickname scenario we're discussing) created to be deceptive and/or disruptive.   Very strange, to my way of thinking, that people would have the time or the desire to use their precious time on this earth in such a way.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

The one screen name per email address is simple to comply with. It's the "one email address per PERSON" that *should* be a violation. But if a poster "creates" a "new person", how would that ever be verifiable or checkable unless IP address matched 100% of the time. There isn't any way to "know" whether it's three different *bodies* or just three different personas.

Therein lies the dilemma, @Moonchilde.   With dynamic IP addresses, it's not as simple as it once was.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@dooBdoo, how can a poster show posts that number in the 50s by their name when posting, but when you click on their activity by poster name it shows one single post and no others?

Hmmmmm......

Hi, again, @Moonchilde!    That means most of the person's posts were deleted.   When a post is removed, it doesn't change our post count.   (Easy way to see one...  look at any of the infamous "Poehler" nicknames as an example.)