Valued Contributor

Re: Racial and cultural insensitivity

I see Jen's comment as total ignorance. Does she ever read? Or watch serious films? (Meryl Streep was heartbreaking as the mother.) I think management should address this kind of comment. It's extremely offensive.

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 "I never saw the movie and yet I know the meaning. If you are going to use that type of phrase take a minute and learn the meaning."

I agree with you.  These hosts go through intensive trainings when they are first hired.  They should continue with the training if they are not sure of something.  It is better to be safe than sorry. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have never heard her use that phrase, but it sure is inappropriate.  I would have to think she does know where it came from.  Why else would she say it, unless she knew that was a situation where Sophie had to make a choice?  One should always try to know where phrases came from before using them.  I find it hard to believe that no one at the "Q" knows where that phrase came from.  Or maybe they do and have not thought it through, that it is a terrible comparison.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Valued Contributor

Personally, I've never heard anyone use that expression. Anyone else?

Jen is obviously ignorant of what it truly means, but an intelligent person would want to do some research before using it on TV. Jen is not that person.
Contributor

Seems the onerous is on QVC to parent what hosts say on air.

That nobody apparently knows, producers, auxillary staff etc

Yikes...😐

Esteemed Contributor

I could be wrong but the host might have only know the phrase as the name of a work of fiction and a movie? 

It is a deep award winning work and  controversial in the authors hypotheses. 

I think we are loosing so much of our worlds history, both good and bad, especially the Holocaust. How can we learn from our mistakes.

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@Junkwoman 

Again, I agree with you.  Again, alas, the hosts are meant to entertain viewers these days.  Insensitivity is not really a concern of theirs.  

@maximillian , We'll that is just sad.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Junkwoman wrote:
Please ask hosts (Jen Coffey) to stop using the phrase , “It’s a real Sophie’s Choice” when describing a scenario where a customer may have difficulty choosing among items offered. Sophie’s Choice is a book and subsequent film about a Holocaust survivor named Sophie. She is forced to choose which of her children lives and which is sent to the gas chambers. This phrase is not appropriate when talking about choosing a color of sweater. I doubt the host using this realizes the true background of the phrase. Anyone can make an ignorant mistake. Just please educate your hosts about adopting phrases they don’t understand.

@Junkwoman - Very well said, without blaming Jen. Like others I doubt she knows where the words came from, and I don't fault her for that.

We all read different books and see different movies.

As @KathyM23 and others said, someone on Facebook should gently point this out to her. I'm not on Facebook. I'm sure she would be very grateful. 

Valued Contributor

I don't use FB, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to educate her on the subject.

I mean, what rock did she crawl out from under? 🙄

Honored Contributor

I agree, OP. Thank you for bringing that up.