Occasional Contributor

Racial and cultural insensitivity

Please ask hosts (Jen Coffey) to stop using the phrase , “It’s a real Sophie’s Choice” when describing a scenario where a customer may have difficulty choosing among items offered. Sophie’s Choice is a book and subsequent film about a Holocaust survivor named Sophie. She is forced to choose which of her children lives and which is sent to the gas chambers. This phrase is not appropriate when talking about choosing a color of sweater. I doubt the host using this realizes the true background of the phrase. Anyone can make an ignorant mistake. Just please educate your hosts about adopting phrases they don’t understand.
Occasional Contributor

Re: Racial and cultural insensitivity

Respected Contributor

@Junkwoman 

Again, I agree with you.  Again, alas, the hosts are meant to entertain viewers these days.  Insensitivity is not really a concern of theirs.  

Honored Contributor

Jen probably doesn't know the origin of the phrase, in which case she shouldn't use it.  I made a similar mistake once and was quite embarrassed when a colleague brought it to my attention.

Honored Contributor

Obviously, that host does not understand the significance of that phrase.  Yes, somone should explain to her that it's not appropriate to use it when discussing a choice between a red or blue tee sweater.

Super Contributor

I agree but not many people know that because some never was taught that in schools. There are lot of things that happen in this world that was not taught about other cultures and I fine it strange when it come to certain events that happen people get offended by it and others that have experienced worst seemed to be pushed aside. Sometime we need to educate ourselves that not everything said is to be taken as an insult. We need to realize that we all have saying that people don't know the orgin and there is nothing wrong with that but remember this is also done to other people.

Respected Contributor

Yes .. that is bad ...

Trusted Contributor

Some people know very little about the Holocaust.  I'll cut her some slack since who knows what she learned along the way.  Maybe she could replace it with Hobson's choice which fits more into the QVC style of selling.  

Esteemed Contributor

Let's hope one of the powers-that-be who sees this post passes the information along. Sophie's Choice is a story about unimaginable suffering. The hosts need to know what they're saying before they open their mouths.

Honored Contributor

There was a previous thread last year on this ignorant and inappropriate comment @Junkwoman . Sadly, management seems to have overlooked her comment and she continues to embarrass herself.