Respected Contributor

Re: Quit calling shades nude unless you have several choices

I consider the shade "nude" to mean colorless - having no color at all so it gets its color by the skintone of the person wearing it.  There are many variances in skintones.   

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

The African American Santa thread brings up a thought I've had for years.  I cringe every time I see an articule of lingerie or whatever called "nude."  If you are going to do this, offer several shades from light to dark.  If you can't, just change the name.

Really?  Is this a problem in the light of what faces the world today?  Is this something to be cross about?  Nobody is really "black" either.  Or red or white.  

Isn't it time we quit talking about stuff that doesn't matter and start looking at the human being we are talking to or working with?  Let's stop making it about color and saying that's a nice person or I don't like her because (something that she does) or whatever.

What a color is named and how we treat other human beings on this planet are two wildly different issues.  Let's not get sidetracked on the things that don't matter, but focus on what is important--and that's the individual and the human each of us is. 

Honored Contributor

Nude is pretty much taupe; so call it taupe.

I get what the OP is saying and am inclined to agree.  Is it a big deal in the grand scheme of things, no.  But it is something to consider in an attempt to be sensitive to everyone's skintone differences.

Honored Contributor

Maybe shades in the nude range should be called light nude, medium nude, dark nude. The OP has a point. I've taken the word nude for granted. Lip tones and skin tones vary and just having one shade called nude could ignore many customers. It's the same for Band Aids. Thank goodness the makers finally came out with Band AIDS for darker skin tones,

Valued Contributor

I'm wondering how far this is going to go. We could change color names of every color in the Crayon box. How is that going to resolve race relations? Will that REALLY make things better for anyone? I just saw the pictures of 3 beautiful children killed this past weekend by random senseless violence. I wonder if their families care if a bra is nude, taupe or blush.
And btw...I am 1/2 Mexican and 1/2 italian and I have been called, by men and women, an exotic beauty. I happen to think its appropriate and I like it!! 🙂
Valued Contributor

The PC language police are at it again...how about we just eliminate black, white, nude, blue, pink and call them 1, 2, and so on....happy now?  Doubt it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow...enlightening and disheartening to read some these responses.  I will move on from this thread.

Honored Contributor

The OP makes an excellent point, and one that has been heard in diverse communities for decades, not just in recent news. 

So, to those who lament, "how far will this go?" clearly have not been listening to the many voices for years and years.

Consider that a black ballerina had to start her own company, called Nude Barre, because she and all dancers of color had to hand dye their dance shoes and tights to achieve a closer color to their skin.  They are all required to wear "nude" but given no consideration for how to achieve that if all nude was beige.  So their shoes and tights had to be dyed over & over again to keep the color fresh, which of course meant they deteriorated quicker and new ones had to be purchased more often.  White dancers never had to think twice about this.  So her Nude Barre was born in 2009, and today is extremely successful, serving all shades and all women.  Not just dancer intimates, but lingerie and lights for all women.

This is not a new revelation that "nude" comes in several shades. It's just not deemed important enough for a lot of retailers to make that investment in the distinction and necessity.  Like feeling ignored?  I know I don't.  

Honored Contributor

Nude color definition
The dictionary describes ‘nude’ as a color that can extend to cover tan, tawny, sandy, yellow brown and light yellow
There are also many shades to cover in between that and brown or black!
Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

The African American Santa thread brings up a thought I've had for years.  I cringe every time I see an articule of lingerie or whatever called "nude."  If you are going to do this, offer several shades from light to dark.  If you can't, just change the name.

I totally agree! this has irritated me for years! "Nude" means skintone and not ALL skin tones are WHITE! if I were a woman of color I'd be really peeved by this.