Honored Contributor

Asking for a moderator to explain the heart system; how it works, when is someone moved up in ranking and what it all means, i.e. number of posts, help to others, new threads started. What really is the purpose. I just use hearts to signify that I like or agree with the post I hearted. Is this not the purpose? Why are some more highly ranked than others I guess is my question. I would think that all hearts should be equal. If this has been addressed prior to this I must have missed it. Thanks for clearing this up for me, and I suspect, many other posters.

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor
I thought the hearts were to show that you agree or like what the person had posted. That's how I use mine. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question re: "hearts"

[ Edited ]

I'm glad you asked....I have no idea what the hearts are for or how to use them....and if I am suppose to reply to the person that gave me a heart....I have never used them because I am not sure what to do....

Another question is...how come some people have red hearts by their posts...and sometime a number...while the rest of us have clear hearts and no numbers....

Esteemed Contributor

circles wrote:

I'm glad you asked....I have no idea what the hearts are for or how to use them....and if I am suppose to reply to the person that gave me a heart....I have never used them because I am not sure what to do....

Another question is...how come some people have red hearts by their posts...and sometime a number...while the rest of us have clear hearts and no numbers....

I use the hearts to let someone know I agree with their post or I just like what they've said (it may have just been something funny), or if they've responded to me in some way and I don't need to respond back, I use the heart to let them know I appreciate their response.  

There are red hearts in everyone's post but yours on a thread... yours is not red because you cannot "heart" yourself.  If someone has a red heart and the number "2" next to it, it just means that two people have "hearted" that post.  Just click on the red heart on someone's post to "heart" them and it will put a number next to their heart or add "1" to whatever number is already there.  But after you have "hearted" that post, you will see the heart turn gray because you can only do it once per post.  

Does any of that make sense, or have I confused you further?  I hope it helped clarify it for you. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know how it's supposed to be used. I use ****** o to show that I agree with a comment that another poster has made.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question re: "hearts"

[ Edited ]

@Snicks1 wrote:

Asking for a moderator to explain the heart system; how it works, when is someone moved up in ranking and what it all means, i.e. number of posts, help to others, new threads started. What really is the purpose. I just use hearts to signify that I like or agree with the post I hearted. Is this not the purpose? Why are some more highly ranked than others I guess is my question. I would think that all hearts should be equal. If this has been addressed prior to this I must have missed it. Thanks for clearing this up for me, and I suspect, many other posters.

Shoekitty said

Hi Snicks!

I asked about the ranking a week or so ago, and a moderator said the answer will be forthcoming. Brittany , I believe.  I still don't understand how they arrive at the distinguishing names under our nick names.  I was a super poster. when the new board debuted   Before the change I had over 20,000 posts and had been posting since August of 2007.  Posters with less time, less posts were ranked higher from the first day.I admit I was a little hurt by this.  I am sure it was NOT the PTB's intent, but many posters were. and are.  Maybe it has to do with participation, hearts or both... I am not sure.  Brittany did say the answer is forthcoming.  I have to say I  spent a lot of time trying to figure what I was doing wrong. Hahaha.   Then one day my status was upgraded, but I still wonder. 

About the hearts, I use them with gusto!  if I read a post, see someone I know well, or someone I don't know, or who is new...I give them a heart.  They are fun!  Doesn't take much for me I guess!  LOL!  When I agree with someone, I heart them, I say Hi with a heart.  Sometimes I heart and reply to a post.

Honored Contributor

I use hearts to signify that I agree with or appreciate a post.  

It's the same as using Facebook "likes," or Twitter "re-tweets," or any other social media "thumbs up" feature.  It's more efficient than the constant quoting of posts just to say "ITA" and it has a function, too, as notification to other posters.

I use them quite often, find them helpful, and honestly in general they have whatever meaning we personally choose to assign to them.Robot Happy

As far as any extended meanings, I think some of the associated features ("weights") aren't activated (based on moderators' answers on various threads) and some are in their algorithm of the strange designations they assign to posters (like "valued contributor").  Beyond that, I don't know. 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

This helps explain their extended functions which help us find our way around here:

Hearts and Notifications

In some cases, you can use “Hearts” and “Notifications” to help direct others to a thread or post and also to find your way back to some of the threads you’ve posted on.

We get a notification when someone clicks the heart at the bottom of our post.  (We're supposed to be notified when the "@" is used before our name, letting us know someone mentioned us, but there's some sort of glitch at present so that feature is only working for the moderators and a few posters.)

We usually see a pop-up on the screen when someone “hearts” our post, and also the number before the red "Notifications" will increment (upper right corner of screen, to the right of your username).

Click on the word "Notifications" and you'll see them listed. 

Each item listed has a “clickable” link to the post which was given a heart. 

You can click on each one and go directly to the thread/post that was “hearted.”  This allows us to read the subsequent posts on that thread and decide if we want to add more comments.

link to Help text for "Hearts":  http://community.qvc.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/kudos#kudos

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Leave it to the Q to not give proper instructions for the new forum period.  Rather, a brief description of the forum and that's all. Just another silly thing to reward someone.Heart

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor
Why would I want to spend my money buying products from a company that does not value, trust, respect, or esteem me when I see that other posters are given these accolades.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown