Honored Contributor

Re: QVC's habit of rerunning the same TSV over and over and....

I remember back in the day they were proud of the fact that TSV's were rarely repeated.

I cannot remember the last time I purchased a TSV....most of them are over priced and uninteresting.

Esteemed Contributor

I know that QVC wanted to come back into Canada by trying to get their QVC channel carried on Canadian cable but it didn't work so they still don't ship to Canada after nearly 4 years.

So I analyzed my purchases from The Shopping Channel of the same items and vendors that sell on both channels and I never buy anything that is a TSV at the time it's on air.

I haven't bought any Joan Rivers clothes in a year, I have only bought a couple of Joan Rivers jewelry pieces and Carolyn Pollack jewelry items in the last year. I have no interest in Dyson, My Pillow, Vitamix, bedding, or Aeropilates.

Beauty wise, I have only bought IT Cosmetics CC cream.

Sooo...I don't watch all those TSV presentations at all on my ipad. I'm not interested and I'm too busy. I have other stuff I want to watch too. The only things I would buy from QVC now would be Doll 10 lipsticks and maybe Hagit Gorali silver when it's on sale.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio  ITA!!! And what I don't understand is why in particular QVC picks the weekends for the TSV repitition....This is the part of the week after errands are done that people just want to sit back, relax and watch TV, so QVC might actually get viewers to tune in and possibly purchase something (weekend TV programming is just the worst)....However, instead QVC chooses to show the same things over and over and over and over again, and the TSV in particular (another round of shoes and Serta AGAIN this weekend along with Argan Oil, Dooney, and shoes)....A prospective customer must think QVC has only 6 items to sell and when they see the same things presented over and over....they certainly are going to use their remote to pass by QVC (I know I do!!!).....(translation NO SALE)!

QVC definitely needs to insert some variety and uniqueness in their products and programming, just changing a show title to only show the same thing doesn't work for prospective buyers and doesn't work for QVC's bottom line either!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Bottom line --- what sells they sell again.  What they can get a good buy on--- they sell again and again.  Yes, I agree total boredom and I don't even watch anymore.

I do check in to see what is being sold on my way to whatever is on tv at that moment- mostly reruns.. another topic entirely why I do THAT.  

QVC must see the trend coming and the time coming where nothing will sell well so they are now linked with Zulily.  Love them.   Change merchandise almost daily, great prices, and the quality is not all that bad either.. made in the same places that QVC sells at higher ever higher prices daily.  

@bonnielu

I'm Not a fan of Zulily and any retailer that forces you to give your email before you can view the site speaks volumes to me (they are going to spam you to death and not offer much).....Not impressed with Zulily merchandise and now mostly a lot of the same ole QVC products too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Gram W Ha!  That's what the Dollar store does.  I watch an entire hour on how stores like (Everything's $1) discount stores get their stuff.  They buy out pallets of often discontinued stuff.  It's not past their due date, the manufacturer just will have stopped making a product.  These stores come in and bid on the pallets and buy them up in bulk, like QVC does.

@Annabellethecat66

Yep, QVC has turned in to the Dollar Store but with Boutique and Nordstrom prices....a disaster in the making....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt I agree with you.  I won't just give out my email address to anyone, especially if they say I can't view their website until I give it to them.  I just move on.

There are 'cookies' though that you leave once you even click on to the websites.  You can go to your computer and wipe out the cookies and a lot of websites won't let you on if you go into your computer and put in that you do not want to ALLOW cookies.

You should check into that to see if you do leave cookies.

I don't pretend to understand all about it (I know there are many here who do and can explain it), but I know a little about it.

As far as QVC buying tons of the same thing and getting good prices they talk about that all of the time.  Think about how many Dooney bags would get sold in all of the stores everywhere versus how many they sell on QVC in just a few minutes.  

I'm like you @Spurt and many others, I do change the channel if it's something I don't want/need/like or a host I don't like listening to.  

I don't find what you are saying about different hosts offensive.  I understand and what I take from it is it's difficult to feel like the words are genuine if the person constantly feels the need to state they don't do this or that, but they think the viewer should.  Maybe that's it?  I'm just interpreting it in MY BRAIN.  I don't even know who you are talking about and don't care frankly.  I don't have a problem that way because I don't listen to much of what is being said.

I like the hosts (well some of them) but I don't need to like them (I'm only one person in all of those viewing the show).

I was just watching little Amy this morning.  I was thinking of how much I like watching her present the products.  I used to get frustrated seeing her struggle on the TV (again, my version).  Now I think she does a great job.   She might even be whomever you were speaking of, don't know, don't care.  It's all a matter of preference.

We must all understand that is what makes life wonderful.  We are all different.  We all like different things.  We all (especially I remind myself because I'm still working on me) must remember to be kind to each other and respect everyone's opinion.  I'm working very hard on doing that and I think you probably are too, maybe you are already there.  As for me, I'm hoping the day will one day come when I'm happy with everyone.....I doubt it though...I'm just not that good...yet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt I agree with you.  I won't just give out my email address to anyone, especially if they say I can't view their website until I give it to them.  I just move on.

There are 'cookies' though that you leave once you even click on to the websites.  You can go to your computer and wipe out the cookies and a lot of websites won't let you on if you go into your computer and put in that you do not want to ALLOW cookies.

You should check into that to see if you do leave cookies.

I don't pretend to understand all about it (I know there are many here who do and can explain it), but I know a little about it.

As far as QVC buying tons of the same thing and getting good prices they talk about that all of the time.  Think about how many Dooney bags would get sold in all of the stores everywhere versus how many they sell on QVC in just a few minutes.  

I'm like you @Spurt and many others, I do change the channel if it's something I don't want/need/like or a host I don't like listening to.  

I don't find what you are saying about different hosts offensive.  I understand and what I take from it is it's difficult to feel like the words are genuine if the person constantly feels the need to state they don't do this or that, but they think the viewer should.  Maybe that's it?  I'm just interpreting it in MY BRAIN.  I don't even know who you are talking about and don't care frankly.  I don't have a problem that way because I don't listen to much of what is being said.

I like the hosts (well some of them) but I don't need to like them (I'm only one person in all of those viewing the show).

I was just watching little Amy this morning.  I was thinking of how much I like watching her present the products.  I used to get frustrated seeing her struggle on the TV (again, my version).  Now I think she does a great job.   She might even be whomever you were speaking of, don't know, don't care.  It's all a matter of preference.

We must all understand that is what makes life wonderful.  We are all different.  We all like different things.  We all (especially I remind myself because I'm still working on me) must remember to be kind to each other and respect everyone's opinion.  I'm working very hard on doing that and I think you probably are too, maybe you are already there.  As for me, I'm hoping the day will one day come when I'm happy with everyone.....I doubt it though...I'm just not that good...yet.

@Annabellethecat66

Thanks for the info, I do clear my cookies, use my anti-adware/malware and computer security to clear everything out.....but they always seem to find a way of showing up in my email (even though I didn't subscribe to their ads) but then I get rid of em by using the email BLOCK feature (sometimes its the email provider that has a way to determine websites yo visted).....And I usually do NOT purchase from these type of websites either!!!

Nope, not talking about Amy.....she is just the opposite and enthusiastic about what she sells......to me she's an OK host.  

You do make some very good points. However, there are a couple of hosts that are really getting on my nerves and what is particularly aggravating is when there actually is a product I'm interested in and so I can't mute the show because I  want to hear what the vendor has to say so I have to suffer through the presentation because even the website gives limited info about a product and mostly puffery in their description with little hard facts....

A QVC host isn't doing a good job if they are driving TONS of viewers away....Yes everyone has their own likes and dislikes but someone that polarizes your viewing audience isn't good for business either and afterall QVC is in business to make a buck$$$ and not just something fun for the host.....they need to get their own talk show if they want to do that. Afterall hosts are there to sell merchandise (if that's not to their liking they need to pursue a different profession---that's the way I look at it---I get evaluated on the job I do and I think they should be held to a certain standard for their career JMHO) .  And yes I agree, there are some hosts that have really improved with time....unfortunately some have done just the opposite....

P.S. I was trying to be kind and speak in general terms about the need for QVC to mix it up a bit, might make it more enjoyable for the hosts too instead of them showing the same thing over and ovr and over---I'm sure it gets boring for the hosts too. And QVC should also help the host by picking the right host with the right product category.  

Honored Contributor

Not just the TSV's over and over but the same products over and over.

Image result for thumbs up

This...

So true @Annabellethecat66... QVC is and has now long been a one trick pony. It's one of several big reasons they're hurting. People are not only saturated... have not only bought it if they want it... but are bored senseless of seeing the same fifteen items presented in an endless loop... That's why many, like me, have stopped watching...

And incidentally, annoying hosts, high prices, endless presentations and ridiculous shipping would be most of the other big reasons...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@pdlinda wrote:

I think QVC contracts with these relatively few vendors to buy enormous quantities of various models of these over-exposed products at a deeply discounted price to them to achieve the highest profit margin.  They must have some "research" that supports the repeating and repeating and repeating of these items until they can hopefully rid their warehouse of all the merchandise.  

However, their bottom line is not that great so maybe it's time for senior management to actually earn their mega-salaries and shake things up a bit...my sense is, however, that the contracts for the vendors are negotiated for multiple years so who knows if their strategy will ever change (in our lifetime)...

@pdlinda  My theory is that the Q doesn't own this merchandise and has just contracted to let Shark, Dyson, HP, Wen, and the rest use the studio and staff to sell their product infomercial style.  If we hate it, imagine how much the hosts must hate it.

I tend to agree with you @Kachina624. I think they've been as much into infomercial-like production as sales for several years...

And as for any assumption there's research indicating this model is successful, I don't think so. Otherwise, there would have been better quarterly financial reports than QVC has been showing now for a while...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I am CONVINCED that some doofus at the Q made the mistake of buying up a couple warehouses of Dooneys and they are dying to UNLOAD them .... hence all the shows with 6 easy pays!