Honored Contributor

Re: QVC insider magazine going Digita

@SunValley wrote:

I think retailers want everyone's dime! Lol. But they want to spend as little as possible to get it.

I really feel for the elderly or those who are befuddled by online use when so much of what they need in retail, financial, and medical areas is relying heavily on online knowledge/use. I know it's progress, but it's at warp speed.

@SunValley . You're right about that!  My mother is 91 today and I'm always telling her to just order whatever online...why bother to go out to the store just for something like batteries or something else that's not fun to go out for?  It's so easy to buy from Amazon but she insists on seeing it in person!

She also refuses to do any banking online.  Oh well she will stick with the old ways of doing things.

Trusted Contributor

I think it’s great.  I’m all for saving trees and going digital.  It’s always been tough for the older generations when it comes to advancements in technology.  The good thing is that technology is always becoming more user friendly.   If your hands can use a pen to fill out a form or turn a magazine page, then they have enough dexterity to touch the screen of an iPad.  Older people are smart and totally capable of learning how to use technology.  They just need to be willing to learn and have a good teacher.  You can’t stop progress just because certain people are stubborn or set in their ways.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TenderMercies wrote:

I think it’s great.  I’m all for saving trees and going digital.  It’s always been tough for the older generations when it comes to advancements in technology.  The good thing is that technology is always becoming more user friendly.   If your hands can use a pen to fill out a form or turn a magazine page, then they have enough dexterity to touch the screen of an iPad.  Older people are smart and totally capable of learning how to use technology.  They just need to be willing to learn and have a good teacher.  You can't stop progress just because certain people are stubborn or set in their ways.

Some people can't afford a device to use for digital anything, and some simply don't want them, regardless of their age. And just as people learn differently, many people have definite preferences in the way they access reading materials and information and are independent enough thinkers (as opposed to stubborn) to expect a business to provide things in a manner in which they wish to consume it.

Companies that continue to offer consumers choices (of all kinds) will continue to get the dollar of those preferring to do business in more traditional ways. 

Honestly QVC doesn't care about those dollars and those that will now be left out of the 'inside' scoop will simply spend their money elsewhere, or limit their purchases to the few repeated things they feature on air ad nauseam.

And as so many here are quick to point out, QVC is now seeking the younger customer. Well, good luck with that, as it is also pointed out here quite often, those younger generations don't want 'stuff'. QVC is in the business of convincing people they need a lot of stuff. They might want to reconsider ending the print version to that 'older generation having it so tough' to keep up with the new ways (oh please), as that is still who is spending more money on things and stuff, here and elsewhere.

edited to add:

Q might do better to offer incentive to go digital (discount etc.) while still offering print version to those who might prefer it. Would make sense not to alienate an entire group of one's customer base, while encouraging the change at a much slower pace.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

I think it’s great.  I’m all for saving trees and going digital.  It’s always been tough for the older generations when it comes to advancements in technology.  The good thing is that technology is always becoming more user friendly.   If your hands can use a pen to fill out a form or turn a magazine page, then they have enough dexterity to touch the screen of an iPad.  Older people are smart and totally capable of learning how to use technology.  They just need to be willing to learn and have a good teacher.  You can't stop progress just because certain people are stubborn or set in their ways.

Some people can't afford a device to use for digital anything, and some simply don't want them, regardless of their age. And just as people learn differently, many people have definite preferences in the way they access reading materials and information and are independent enough thinkers (as opposed to stubborn) to expect a business to provide things in a manner in which they wish to consume it.

Companies that continue to offer consumers choices (of all kinds) will continue to get the dollar of those preferring to do business in more traditional ways. 

Honestly QVC doesn't care about those dollars and those that will now be left out of the 'inside' scoop will simply spend their money elsewhere, or limit their purchases to the few repeated things they feature on air ad nauseam.

And as so many here are quick to point out, QVC is now seeking the younger customer. Well, good luck with that, as it is also pointed out here quite often, those younger generations don't want 'stuff'. QVC is in the business of convincing people they need a lot of stuff. They might want to reconsider ending the print version to that 'older generation having it so tough' to keep up with the new ways (oh please), as that is still who is spending more money on things and stuff, here and elsewhere.

edited to add:

Q might do better to offer incentive to go digital (discount etc.) while still offering print version to those who might prefer it. Would make sense not to alienate an entire group of one's customer base, while encouraging the change at a much slower pace.

Then I guess they won’t be getting The Insider anymore.