Contributor

QVC...give your staff Thanksgiving OFF please

Qvc......

You have a great staff that are very dedicated and wonderful people and hosts. Please think of them and their time with their families and give them 2 days off air all together, per year, Thanksgiving and Christmas. My suggestion is to run prerecorded programming for the day. You may already be doing this on Christmas day, not sure. Anyway, nobody is going to wither away because QVC is off air for these important days. I've heard so many of them today say they will be there tomorrow, Thanksgiving day. Come on, give them the day with their families. I truly believe this is highly important, especially in these hard times of today's living.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: QVC...give your staff Thanksgiving OFF please

I'm sure on Christmas it's pre-recorded like HSN.  However, maybe some people don't have family to get together for Thanksgiving and would prefer working overtime.  It's just another day to me (no family where I live) and I'm glad when Friday comes.

Honored Contributor

QVC does go off the air at like 4:00 Christmas Eve and they don't start live programming again until 8:00 a.m. December 26th.

Honored Contributor

You’re kidding, right?

So, you really think QVC is going to close on Thanksgiving Day because you suggested it?

Well, for one thing, it’s too late.  They are already scheduled to be open. And another reason is, it is probably quite profitable for them to be open.

My guess is that most of the stores where you live are open too.  They are open to make money.  They will be open on New Year’s  Day, Easter, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day and every other day of the year.  Some convenience stores and restaurants are open 365 Days a year.

As long as America wants to shop on these days, the businesses will accommodate them to line their pockets.

The only way to stop this is to have everyone to stop shopping on holidays, but it’s not going to happen.  Our Blue Laws are gone.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband worked retail for years, and it was just expected or driven into an employee before accepting the job, that working some or all holidays' was expected, QVC would never close on Thanksgiving, they give the employee's Christmas day off, which is alot more than some companies do!  This is a different time with so many divided families, not to mention  people with no nearby families, I am sure that Thanksgiving Day is a very profitable day of QVC!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

You’re kidding, right?

So, you really think QVC is going to close on Thanksgiving Day because you suggested it?

Well, for one thing, it’s too late.  They are already scheduled to be open. And another reason is, it is probably quite profitable for them to be open.

My guess is that most of the stores where you live are open too.  They are open to make money.  They will be open on New Year’s  Day, Easter, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day and every other day of the year.  Some convenience stores and restaurants are open 365 Days a year.

As long as America wants to shop on these days, the businesses will accommodate them to line their pockets.

The only way to stop this is to have everyone to stop shopping on holidays, but it’s not going to happen.  Our Blue Laws are gone.

We still have Blue Laws in Bergen County, NJ

Respected Contributor

You do realize that there are millions of people who do their everyday jobs on Thanksgiving so why should QVC be any different? 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  Wow, that is amazing.  I just looked on their website and they are the only county in NJ that still does this.

Here is PA, we still have some municipalities that cannot sell or serve alcohol beverages, but in recent years, some of them now do.

i love to hear about places that have retained their old laws and find it interesting.  Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

As soon as people stop shopping on Thanksgiving, the stores including QVC will stop selling.  

We won't know until it's over, but according to my morning paper, there's a prediction of 33 million shoppers IN stores as well as 50 million plus ONLINE.

Is it the responsibility of the retailers in the country to tell all those people to stay home and keep their money dry for another day?  I don't think so -   and hopefully among the QVC staff there are employees who want to work for whatever reason so that someone who'd prefer not to can do something else. 

Honored Contributor

@shopperinme, that's a lovely thought, but those days are over. I wish all people could be with thei families, if they wish to. However, the reality is many people have to work holidays, I myself worked in healthcare, and many times had to work or was on call, people adjust. Again, your heart is in the right place.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan