Honored Contributor

Re: QVC: STOP SELLING USED CLOTHING!

[ Edited ]

I find if I buy more expensive As Is products I have a better chance of getting a product in like new condition. The Q should not be selling items that have obviously been worn and laundered. They should be able to donate those items and get a tax break.

Honored Contributor

I hsve ordered a few as-is items and they were fine; if I ever received something dirty, torn, or stained, I would return it and never, ever order anything as-is again.
Contributor

@topcat10 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

"as is" means it's been worn on air, returned, slightly damaged, etc etc.  It says that on Q's website.

EVERY retailer resells returned merchandise. It's no different than if someone tried it on at a store and then didn't buy it.  

I never wear anything without first washing it.  

OMG! THANK YOU!....anything to complain about i guess!

I guess I missed (or you are mistaken) the slightly damaged ect, because I seem to recall the returned, used on air presentation in the disclaimer, or does not come with the original warranty, but I did not see the slightly damaged.

I do not consider expecting clothing "unused" unreasonable.  I feel it is QVC's responsibility to seperate items by a specific return policy for "as is" and "used" items.  A box to check on the return form listing the item as "damaged" when it has been used/worn prior to returning the purchase.

Selling obviously used items does not make good business sense.  This costs QVC staff time and absorbing the cost of shipping when an item has been sent that is unacceptable.  It also has an effect on customer relationships.  My husband has an MBA and feels their policy of selling "used" clothing to customers makes no business sense.

Some people want to say someone only wants to complain.  I believe in speaking up and hoping change can take place.  Some people only want to criticize a posting instead of veiwing a situation with critical thinking skills and see the point someone is making.

Honored Contributor

@April-Rose wrote:

@topcat10 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

"as is" means it's been worn on air, returned, slightly damaged, etc etc.  It says that on Q's website.

EVERY retailer resells returned merchandise. It's no different than if someone tried it on at a store and then didn't buy it.  

I guess I missed (or you are mistaken) the slightly damaged ect, because I seem to recall the returned, used on air presentation in the disclaimer, or does not come with the original warranty, but I did not see the slightly damaged.

I do not consider expecting clothing "unused" unreasonable.  I feel it is QVC's responsibility to seperate items by a specific return policy for "as is" and "used" items.  A box to check on the return form listing the item as "damaged" when it has been used/worn prior to returning the purchase.

Selling obviously used items does not make good business sense.  This costs QVC staff time and absorbing the cost of shipping when an item has been sent that is unacceptable.  It also has an effect on customer relationships.  My husband has an MBA and feels their policy of selling "used" clothing to customers makes no business sense.

Some people want to say someone only wants to complain.  I believe in speaking up and hoping change can take place.  Some people only want to criticize a posting instead of veiwing a situation with critical thinking skills and see the point someone is making.

I'm glad QVC offers the As Is products as I have gotten some really great deals and will continue to purchase them.  My husband has 2 Masters degrees, but I didn't ask him since he's not a QVC shopper.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Hmm ...  I thought  QVC had outlet stores where returns are sold.   Maybe not.   

However .....   I cannot even imagine buying anything "as is" online!       Ugh!

What do you think "as is" means, anyway?   

While they shouldn't ever sell used clothing online, please use some common sense and don't waste your money on anything "as is" that you cannot examine in person ... like in a Salvation Army or Goodwill store.   Just don't do that!

IMO the OP didn't deserve being berated like this. 

And she didn't need to think anything about what "as is" means because she has to click on an acknowledgment about what As Is means before she can even buy the item.

Trusted Contributor

I really don't think "as is" should mean it may have been laundered!  That is thrift store merchandise!

Trusted Contributor

I always thought as - is meant used!  I know the fine print says it may be a stage prop or something like that but how many of those do you think there are??  We are of course getting used clothing, shoes, jewelry etc.  

Super Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
some of the clothing descriptions sound so used there is no way they could have been returned within the 30 day return policy unless they were worn, stained, and washed on a daily basis

You would think that ⬆ would have to be the case...until...you are the one to order a new garment,  wash it ONCE, and it turns out pilled, stained, and looking all tired & worn out.

I do try to make it a point to wear and wash my new QVC clothing several times during my 30-day return period to assess how they hold up over time.  Part of the reason I buy clothing here is because I never feel like I'm going to be stuck losing money on items that do not perform well over time.  So yes, I have returned things on occasion after wearing them several times because, at QVC prices, I am not settling for disposable clothing. I consider QVC's return policy as a 30-day warranty.

Having said all that,  I wouldn't buy an item, wear it a few times or to the one event I needed it for and then return it without there being a problem with fit or quality.  In others words, I would never order an item for a particular event with the intention of returning it after wearing it that one time...in essence "renting" the garment, shoes or jewelry for only the cost of original and return shipping. That situation is quite different and, in my mind, is the same as shoplifting. 

Super Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I find if I buy more expensive As Is products I have a better chance of getting a product in like new condition. The Q should not be selling items that have obviously been worn and laundered. They should be able to donate those items and get a tax break.

That is a good point.  Seems like it would be a win-win situation if QVC would consistently do this and strive for near perfect sorting of returns.  First, it's a good thing to donate to those less fortunate. 

Secondly, I imagine the tax break would be greater than QVC's labor and shipping costs involved with repackaging unacceptable items, sending them out to customers, paying for return shipping, re-processing of these defective items, etc. Finally, there is the bigger picture, long-term costs that QVC should consider. When items in poor condition get sent out (both with "new" and "as is") it really degrades the customers trust in QVC and willingness to shop with them again in the future (customer loyalty & retention). 

Granted, mistakes are going to happen and can't be totally eliminated, but something seems to be going on with both the shipping and return departments lately.  I'm guessing those departments are expected to get more done with less employee hours compared to a few years ago. 

Honored Contributor

@April-Rose wrote:

@topcat10 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

Sure, it'd be great if we always received items that had never been tried on or returned.  But that isn't the way it works in retail.  Every retailer resells returns.  Everyone has tried on a returned item at a store or something that has been tried on before by someone else.   It is what it is.  You take your chances with anything 'as is' ... cars, shoes, clothes, appliances, etc.  If someone wants pristine new, they need to avoid 'as is' and perhaps even shop locally so they can ask the store if it's ever been tried on or returned.