Respected Contributor

For the love of Mike...state in your descriptions of beauty items whether an item is "gluten-free" or not. Please state it either way, because SOMEONE is going to ask in the Community Q & A.

Same thing with "fragrance-free". Oh, and SPF---you'd think if it wasn't listed, customers would assume that there is none, but NO...every single time a new foundation is introduced and the description doesn't list SPF, this question is asked!

One more thing...people ALWAYS ask where an item is made, and often the answer is "QVC doesn't have enough information to state where an item is imported from". Really? You sell stuff and don't know where it's made?

These things are important to people, and if you don't state it in the description, they may not buy! Or they'll buy and return!

Trusted Contributor

Gluten-free beauty items?  Now I have heard everything.

While I do know that a very small percentage (tiny!) of the population cannot consume gluten due to celiac disease, the whole gluten-free bandwagon is plain silly and based on nothing but ignorance and misconception.

Respected Contributor

@KYToby I have read/heard somewhere that some people can't tolerate products containing gluten on their skin---but I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about gluten intolerance and how widespread it actually is..

What prompted my OP was someone not only asking it a product was gluten-free, but wanting to know if it was manufactured under conditions where the equipment used was free of gluten-contamination (much like products that don't actually contain nuts, being made with nut-contamination free machines).

Valued Contributor

I like to know ingredients, and some items it isn't provided. I would like to see this information in every beauty item, too. Cruelty free info as well.

Occasional Contributor

As someone who has been clinically diagnosed with non-celiac gluten sensitivity by an MD, I find your bandwagon comment hurtful and condescending. Believe me, I'd love a big old plate of pasta, a sandwich and maybe some cookies. But it's just not worth the inflammation, insomnia and restless leg syndrome that I'd get in response. 

Based on your learned opinion, only a tiny percentage have CD. well, it's actually 1 in every 133 people who have it. And about 30% of the population have NCGS. Those with Dermititis Herpetisformis would be very interested in beauty products that are gluten free. That is the skin manifestation of celiac disease. 

Going gluten-free isn't silly and it isn't based on ignorance or misconception. It's how  we keep from suffering from a very real disease.

Honored Contributor

Re: QVC, PLEASE...

[ Edited ]

@KYToby wrote:

Gluten-free beauty items?  Now I have heard everything.

While I do know that a very small percentage (tiny!) of the population cannot consume gluten due to celiac disease, the whole gluten-free bandwagon is plain silly and based on nothing but ignorance and misconception.

@KYToby - I beg to differ.  As someone with several family members who have celiac disease, it's extremely important to know whether even beauty products contain gluten, as gluten can cause a severe reaction, when transmitted through the skin or ingested (through something like lipstick).

Just because you are (clearly) lucky enough not to be affected by gluten, doesn't mean everyone else is or that people are operating on "nothing but ignorance or misconception".

Would you say the same thing about those with a nut allergy?  Do you think it's "plain silly" for that to be listed on ingredients in any product?

I'd say the "ignorance" is in not realizing how vital this information is for those afflicted with celiac disease, a disease which can damage every organ of the body and ultimately kill.

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@KYToby I have read/heard somewhere that some people can't tolerate products containing gluten on their skin---but I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about gluten intolerance and how widespread it actually is..

What prompted my OP was someone not only asking it a product was gluten-free, but wanting to know if it was manufactured under conditions where the equipment used was free of gluten-contamination (much like products that don't actually contain nuts, being made with nut-contamination free machines).

@vermint - You've brought up a very important request for QVC.  Well done!  My sister-in-law was made very ill by buying something that was labeled "gluten-free" but, in fact, wasn't.  It's not just the latest "bandwagon", believe me.