Valued Contributor

Re: Q needs to hire a voice coach!

A whole lot of perfect people around!

Honored Contributor

I started to use closed captioning along with muting, but they talk so fast CC cannot keep up with them.  So one gets half sentences, wrong words . . . and sometimes CC simply gives up . . . just another hassle.

When I watch a regular TV series, the CC works just fine because the dialog is not usually rushed.  So I know it's the fast talking on the Q that prevents CC from solving the problem.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

It's not only speed talking, which is unintelligible, it's tone, pitch, pronunciation, enunciation, volume. What kind of people must the Q have to hiring. Gosh, if you're selling, you don't want to hurt people's ears and turn them off.

When one is hiring for a hand model, they look for the most pleasing hands. Voice is important. Also, a lower tone voice is more pleasing than a high pitched voice, which the Q seems to be unaware of. No one wants to listen to a screeching, yelling, squeaky, unintelligible voice. Listen to Carolyn - a beautiful voice.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Firefly3 wrote:

A whole lot of perfect people around!

-----------------------

Not at all and certainly no one is!!  Just giving my two cents as to why I - and others - have stopped watching the Q.  Company's financial numbers depend on hosts' selling skills....  

Honored Contributor

I had a number of friends who majored in Communications in college. 

They were taught proper grammar. 

They were taught diction. 

They were taught voice modulation. 

They were taught to speak without regional accents.

They were taught pacing as well as breathing.

In our teaching method classes, we covered all the above except losing regional accents.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@febe1 I call these the "Valley Girl" Helium voiced, nasily sounding women. They are also the ones that  say "like" every other word.

I am starting to notice that more and more of the 20 to 35 year olds are talking like this. On commercials, news anchors, weather women etc.

It is like chalk on a chalkboard to me and DH.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

I wish I could give 100 hearts for this. Rachel speaks SO fast, I can't understand or watch her. I even commented once on her FB page, she said she was SO sorry & would do better. Lol, yeah right, in 1 ear & out the other.

My local news channel has 1 newscaster & 1 weather lady, that honestly, IS like nails on a chalk board. I have to skip the news when they are on, & try to catch it later when the other shift comes on. 

Esteemed Contributor

@happygolfcartrider  I rarely watch live shopping channels.  But when I do there are some guest voices that make me think about HOW I MIGHT SOUND.  If I ever decided to do the "sales thing" I think I would record me first and watch and listen.... just to have a pleasing voice.

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu I have said many times that each host, Men and women should watch at least one of their shows every week just to see what they look like, sound like and come across as. If they did I bet they would change a few things.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

It's not QVC. A person's natural voice and accent has become the norm now everywhere. 

I would genuinely like to know why Minnie Mouse/Helium Voice/Baby Voice is SO prevalent these days. I never heard this while I was growing up, in school, and in the working world/public until about 25 years ago. Why did it suddenly "pop out" when it wasn't "out there" before? I just want to say "Where's your mommy, honey. Does she know you're out by yourself?"

Life without Mexican food is no life at all