Respected Contributor

Re: Q needs to hire a voice coach!

Not only do some of the ladies talk a mile a minute and way too loud, they also have what's called "vocal fry," where their voices have that rough, valley girl sound to them. Google it---some very interesting studies have been done regarding this phenomenon. Many of the female DJ's at radio stations around me have it and it's so unpleasant to listen to. They always sound like they have colds and are very hoarse. Of course, you can't help what your voice sounds like (I have a very distinctive Maryland "hon" accent that makes me cringe sometimes) but you can be taught to tone it down and be softer. 

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

Not only do some of the ladies talk a mile a minute and way too loud, they also have what's called "vocal fry," where their voices have that rough, valley girl sound to them. Google it---some very interesting studies have been done regarding this phenomenon. Many of the female DJ's at radio stations around me have it and it's so unpleasant to listen to. They always sound like they have colds and are very hoarse. Of course, you can't help what your voice sounds like (I have a very distinctive Maryland "hon" accent that makes me cringe sometimes) but you can be taught to tone it down and be softer. 

One of my co-workers talks like that-vocal fry.   She's well into her 50s.   I kept thinking she had a cold and would sound better when it cleared up.

Nope!  It's just as annoying in person.

Trusted Contributor

I couldn't agree more with what has been said, so far.  I don't think a voice coach is needed, as much as a speech pathologist is.  That's not just baby talk, it's compensation for a true speech problem. If it's the host I'm thinking of, she has real issues with the letter "L".  She also doesn't seem to be the type to put effort in working on the issue, either.  I'm surprised that during interviews this problem wasn't picked up.  To make matters worse, she tries to talk with mints in her mouth most of the time.  It would be better if the host paused for a sip of water, rather than talking while rolling that mint in her mouth.  Besides, Altoids don't help with a dry mouth, anyway.

Respected Contributor

I find that there are a few hosts with annoying voices, and speech patterns, so much so that it irritates me😣 to the point of changing the channel.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

David talks fast???  I never would've accused him of that.  I've always thought he was quite relaxed in his presentations. 

For my ears, yes he does.  Also he often talks with food in his mouth and that makes it even more difficult to understand him.  I haven't watched him much in recent months, but I miss the kitchen shows and have been trying to get back to them. I also appreciate the show with Mary on Saturdays.  She seems to focus on the product whereas David focuses on the food. I like her style better as it's the product I am interested in.

Contributor

I usually turn the tv on in my bedroom for a while before I go to sleep.  One night, during a Logo show,  I rolled over on my side and closed my eyes thinking I would just listen for a while.  I found that when I wasn't focusing on Amy's face while she was speaking, she was nearly unintelligible!  It was almost like a foreign language!  I realized that I must actually be reading her lips when I watch her, and that's probably why I never noticed how hard it is to understand her when she gets cranked up and starts speaking at warp speed.  I agree - some of the hosts could benefit from some vocal coaching and maybe even speech therapy.

Frequent Contributor

The speed and the fact that Amy keeps calling handbags and shoes as "she", makes me reach for the remote also. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I really agree!!  There are two hosts - David and Kirsten - who talk so fast that it is a chore for me to watch them. Nothing against them, but it would be nicer for me (and perhaps others) if we didn't have to put out so much effort to watch.

@Perkup ..... Kirsten is the one who talks too fast ... she always sounds like she is on speed ... DAVID does not talk fast .... his speech is clear as a bell!!

Esteemed Contributor

@PJKuhnny wrote:

Totally agree.  Talking fast is one thing, but when you can't understand what one has said because of HOW FAST they talk, that's another.  I sincerely can't quite get everything Kerstin and Amy are saying because of  one word running into another.   

@PJKuhnny ... Kerstin & Amy are the worst ... they do not belong in front of the camera!!

Frequent Contributor

Yes. One word: Rachel. Chalkboard, meet nails.