Esteemed Contributor

Re: Purging our order history

The disappearing order history in what looks like random chunks makes me think think that QVC has a corrupted database that they cannot fix as this issue has been going on for at least 4 or 5 years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1MrsT wrote:

I understand that with system updates or changes, you can lose older data. I understand choices need to be made on what's important to you as a company. But maybe there could be more thought into what's important to your customers, too?

I've been shopping with QVC since 1989. Having easy access to my old orders would be helpful for things like insurance claims or knowing what size bracelet I ordered as a gift, for example. 

The fact that my order history only goes back to 2007 is annoying...but what really has me scratching my head is why are orders from as recent as 2016 missing? 

First I thought orders for things no longer available was the reason things disappeared, but no...there are plenty items  that are no longer still showing up in my available order history. So I'm at a loss to figure out why some order histories stay and why others are purged from my records. Besides which, whether an item is no longer available or not, the information is still helpful to have it available to access. 

Anyway, I just thought I'd give my two cents for hoping that QVC could make these deleted records available again. And if I've overlooked an obvious way to see these deleted records, I apologize. 

Thank you!

Having decades of order history is exactly the reason why random records or months/years disappear and others don't.  It's how systems work when they are overloaded.  Few systems can be changed/upgraded to easily contain that much data.  

You can choose to have your purchase history for 20 years or have a system that runs well in other areas.  Most systems can't do both when holding 20 years of data for millions of people.

I worked in the financial services industry for 40 years and worked in or with IT for 25 of those.  State and federal laws dictate what has to be retained and for how long.  To retain longer than that exposes the company to liabilities it doesn't want or need.  

Why is it someone else's responsibility to maintain records "just in case" someone has a fire or needs information from a purchase made 3 or 20 years ago.  I don't get it.  Each person needs to take responsibility.  

Super Contributor

@CalminHeart Thanks for the back story. Didn't mean to put anybody out with my "wish". When you get use to having access to your purchase history, it's jarring when it disappears. But thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amazon's order history seems to go back indefinitely. I would prefer if QVC's did, as well, even from the perspective of re-ordering some things. It would be a great business practice and a potential money-maker on their part, I think.  How many times have I been using or wearing a product that someone admires, or likes, and yet, I haven't been able to search for it in my order history? If I purchased it on Amazon, I can easily track it down and re-purchase it as a gift, but not with QVC. And the same thing has happened if I've lost an item, I can easily replace it with Amazon, with just a few clicks. Not with QVC.  I do 90% of my shopping online, so to have to pick up a phone, no matter how convenient, is going to be a disincentive for me. 

And if customer service has access to the entire order history, why not give the same access to the customer?

I popped over here to see why a bunch of my orders disappeared.  I have been waiting to see if a product will be sold again, and I use my order history to see the style that I ordered previously.  

My order history goes back to 2007...supposedly.  Except it shows that I have ordered very few items.  When I go to my email and search, I see a bunch of items that I have ordered that QVC is not showing.  I understand if QVC wants to limit how many years the order history goes back, but at least tell us how many years that actually is.  For example, my credit cards tell me how many statements that I can download before they fall off.  

The item I was looking for was ordered in Oct. 2015, so not old at all compared to the 2007 order the history did choose to save and show.  

That is problem #1.   Problem #2 is that it was a TSV that sold out and then they never restocked.   They chose to restock other items, but not this one.  (If I had known that this item was not a normally stocked item, I would have never purchased it.)  I wanted to order more (at full price), but since it is no longer available (not ever, it looks like), now I am extremely leery of ordering anything again, as I may not be able to get refills or to purchase more of items ordered here.  We were not told that this item was a one-time order without the ability to ever re-order, at any price.   Without seeing the quality of the first order, I did not know if I wanted to spend $200+ on a second item.  In an internet search, the item appears to have been a one time QVC item, produced exclusively for QVC, so once it was gone from that one time TSV, I can no longer match the style.  (It was flatware, so it is not like I can just go find something else, unless I want totally mismatched flatware.)   

So now I have a QVC order history that has randomly deleted multiple items so that I can no longer see my order history, plus it refuses to show me orders from 2 years ago so that I can see the style and try to find a match elsewhere, and I can't match elsewhere, as it appears to be an item produced exclusively for QVC.  

Honored Contributor

So when they say your Diamonique stones are covered to be fixed or replaced it may not happen unless you keep your invoice. I get rid of all mine after 30 days and if I can't access the product on my order history , then what good is it. I'm sure they know their product so will they honor their guarantee.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

When I order anything, I also add it to my "wish list". Mostly just to save it future reference, in case I want to re-purchase or for sizing info. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I worked for a Fortune 500 company for nearly 40 years.  A chunk of that was as a senior business analyst on numerous projects.  

It's verrrrrrrrry expensive for a company to maintain lengthy history on any account.  It requires a lot of IT work with each upgrade and with every little change made to the company's systems.

There are federal and state regulations that tell companies how long they have to keep the history. After that, companies are no longer obligated to keep that history.

It's not a one-way street.  Consumers have responsibilities too. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend to make a copy of what is showing and keep it on file.  That way you will at least have what is there now.  

Esteemed Contributor

I doubt that there's any order history left since I have not shopped on QVC in 5 years since they stopped shipping to Canada. But I do recall how big chunks of order history seemingly random chunks disappeared and it was not in any chronological order either. That leads me to believe that during these various IT upgrades that QVC lost customer data and could not recover it.