Honored Contributor

Proof That It’s Time to Re-Think Your Pricing

I’ve been watching your Fashion Clearance Blowout programming for the past few days. I’m shaking my head at how low the prices are now— especially on your house brands.

To me, this is an obvious indication that these brands were priced WAY too high in the first place. If they had been priced realistically to begin with, you wouldn’t have so many items left in the warehouse that you need to clear out— likely at a loss to you— with ridiculously low easy-pays, and no returns.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
New Contributor

Re: Proof That It’s Time Re-Think Your Pricing

@handygal2I totally agree.  I have been a QVC and HSN customer off and on over the years.  I primarily watch to keep up with the trends in fashion then go to Walmart, Kohls and other stores and buy something very similar for a fraction of the cost.  Just proof that you are paying for the name on the garment.  I have recently shopped their Clearance Blowout section and have purchased some LOGO, Denim & Co and Isaac for what are basically Walmart prices.  I have never purchased anything from these designers because I think they are extremely ovepriced.

Honored Contributor

@SLB1011 : Welcome to the forums!... I would add Target to the list as well. I’ve discovered that they have some nice, fashionable clothes at reasonable prices.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
New Contributor

@handygal2  Yeah, Target too.  Unfortunately I live in an area where I have to drive at lest 45 minutes to get to a Kohls or Target or any other store other than Walmart, so most of my wardrobe comes from Walmart.  Some might shudder at that but Walmart meets my lifestyle needs.  They currently have some simple long sleeve T shirts made of Rayon Span that the LOGO brand is made of and goes on and on about and they are less than $10.00  No, they aren't the LOGO style, but they are made of the same fabrication.  I don't want to pay an extra $60 or more just for the LOGO name.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Proof That It’s Time to Re-Think Your Pricing

@handygal2 ,

Every square foot has to be making money for the retailer.

It costs them to store items, and taking up precious finite space storing leftover, off-season clothes prevents them from having that space available to take on new things.

I think this is another bad Q management habit Qurate is 'cleaning house' on.

For example, I suspect every D&Co. summery gauze top currently priced at $4.99 would cost them at least $4.99 (in losses) to store until next summer.  Then, to get their storage money back, prices have to go up overall, not down.

Better business to cut it out of the inventory with a blowout sale, than to pay to store it and hope it sells for the same or more in 8 months.

To me, much of the stuff on sale looks seasonal, or from discontinued vendors, or 'fad' type things that are over.

I looked at a lot of the toys and many seemed popular from a few years ago.

Cleaning Q house is overdue, and savvy customers can grab some great deals.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

all of the shopping networks need to re think! i could not ever pay $250 for a throw or some of the other high costs that I cant think of right now, but that I saw over the weekend! its nice for anyone that can afford those prices I guess but I could not. for example I got the warmest, softest, coziest North Shore Living throw last year for around $28 on a sale plus tax with free shipping.  NO need to spend so much on outrageous prices in my opinion!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

all of the shopping networks need to re think! i could not ever pay $250 for a throw or some of the other high costs that I cant think of right now, but that I saw over the weekend! its nice for anyone that can afford those prices I guess but I could not. for example I got the warmest, softest, coziest North Shore Living throw last year for around $28 on a sale plus tax with free shipping.  NO need to spend so much on outrageous prices in my opinion!

@CherryHugs   Wow!  I had to look up a throw that was $250.  I can't believe it.  It's just a basic Barefoot Dreams throw with writing on it.  Unbelievable.  I wonder how many they've sold.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@NickNack , I think many times it is not even a question of could a QVC customer buy it, it is a question of would they buy it. I would personally feel like I was throwing money away, if I ordered a $250 throw (just an example of some of QVC recent offerings). I do find that the QVC prices have increased dramatically. At one time, QVC pricing was quite competitive with retail stores, but that no longer seems to be true. Personally, I do not consider a few dollars off of the price of an item or free shipping to be a true sale. 

Honored Contributor

I worked in retail in the 80s.  I entered the data and prices on every item that hit the shelves.

This is the standard markup on clothing.  Now toys is usually only 50% markup but clothing can be 200% markup.

A scarf purchased from overseas for $6 is sold at $39.99 or more. 

That is why they are able to do such reductions.

However, QVC is following the industry standard.  They are not doing anything different than any other retailer in the U.S.

Honored Contributor

I was a clothing buyer in the 70's.  Standard sportswear went at a 50% markup.  That was max, some lines were only 42%.  400% was unheard of.  All manufacturing was done in the U.S., some by union workers making a decent living.  Then all production slowly went overseas.  I remember going through Oshkosh WI shortly after their huge Jockey Menswear factory closed.  It was a very sobering experience looking at that abandoned building and thinking of all those lost jobs.