Esteemed Contributor

Re: Professional dress on air

The strapless is a little much for me unless it is a fancy show. Lisa R used to do strapless and others for the fancy gold or shoes on sale. I didn't mind it then as it was appropriate. Strapless for a weeknight selling a hair loss device just seems odd. Just an observation....nothing more.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

My thinking about Shawn as far as the way she dresses is.....she likes her shoulders!  That is where she puts the emphasis.  I often thought that both Lisa and Shawn were self concious about their bodies and were great at creating illusions.  I guess I have done that a time or two in my life.  Shawn's taste is a little flambouyant for me, but I like her.  I like Lisa, too. 

I think QVC targets a younger more funky crowd with Shawn and it must be working for them!

Trusted Contributor

I was thinking of the banker and doctor dress code today after I went to both venues this afternoon. I don't get out as often as I would like but today I saw more top cleavage at both the doctors office reception desk and also at the bank (tellers) as I had seen in a long time. Obviously times are changing is all I thought as an afterthought. Of course I looked as one has to in order to interact with another in person...and of course I look at the presenter on QVC as well as one cannot help it if one has eyeballs that function. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder I guess. I just don't FOCUS on them or their atire. I thought I made that clear but I guess someone thought I made a contradictory statement so I will make myself even clearer...or is it just the way threads go on here at times. LOL. Anyway Was way different when I was working in the hospital and I can look and then shrug as I do today or get upset at the changes and tastes of others. (and cause myself and them angst or negativity) I guess I choose to shrug things off as the changes of dress in 2016 are not going to stop whether I like it or not so is easier to just look ( I may have an inner unspoken thought or two LOL) and then just go on with life and accept changes... and to be polite to others.....especially other womenkind which I lift in acceptance instead of tear down, Both cleavage showing gals at the bank and doctors office really didn't look professional only in my wee opinion of professionalism which may now be out dated (and obviously it wasn't a problem to their employer) but they gave good service to me and that is all I care about. After I noticed the cleavage I just looked at their face the rest of the time and noted mentally that times are changing. That is what one means by not paying particular notice to detail...and having a very neutral opinion even if one sees the individual. As far as some contradictory statements someone said I made ...really? That is perception of a reader for ya I guess. I choose not to be a part of conflict even if I may disagree and is ok to disagree and state the reason why...without being disagreeable in the process by calling out people and making snarky comments. I do not like nor dislike any host and don't care about their attire unless is something that catches my eye that I would like to buy. Otherwise is a quick glance and a yea ok thought.....no strong mental focus on anything but the product they are selling. But that is just me I guess and that is perfectly fine. I honestly would say they (host) looked good or nice no matter what they wore or didn't wear (unless covered in filth and fleas) or scratched their bum on air as I also have eyeballs and what I may not like on them also may look marvelous in someone else's opinion. Maybe I just don't care and have adopted a live and let live neutral attitude after years of seeing THE DEVASTATION and disharmony the internet and some focus on an individual has caused people. I also realize they are dressed most often by a wardrobe personnel working for them so whether I like the dress or not is of no real consequence for any afterthought. I do a quick glance as everyone does.....but for me is a glance is just that...then on to the product! LOL. Have I made myself CLEAR? Is ok to disagree with someone or a post without getting overly snarky, hurtful, especially calling out people by name and inviting argument, These kind of threads and subjects I notice ALWAYS invite strong and highly differing opinions and that is ok.....until it degrades perhaps unintentionally into calling out people by name...admonishing and chastising them (trying make them feel bad?) due simply to perception....I will again make myself clear that I just don't care. I'm sure some beloved cherished outfit we wear (notice I don't call out names) and think we look good in would make another person say OMG she looks horrid and frumpy ...but I wouldn't say that to them...why ruin their good vibes? Maybe is just me but I always think what good am I doing before I open my mouth or pen or key?
Valued Contributor

I watch Shawns line up of shows every week,  PM style, The Find... I do not really notice what she is wearing other than that she always looks nice and put together.  It may be dead of winter there, but the studio is hot under the blaring lights,  who wants to be dressed up in sweaters and such?  And to all of the veiwers it is not dead of winter.  I am in Phoenix, it has been in the 90"s all week,  So seeing Shawn in dressed nice and springy seems normal to me.  I do not see what all the fuss is about shoulderless or not, She always looks nice.  (and YES, I AM allowed my opinion, as it is mine, just as you have yours)

Esteemed Contributor

To me, today the said host looked like she was going to a pool party.  Another thread, few days ago many remarked that appeared that said host had toned down the eyeliner and how pretty she looked.  Today, it seemed as though said host read the comments which were complimentry and ramped up the eyeliner.  Those eyes were very, very heavily lined. 

Super Contributor

I didn't like the dress, but I prefer kiersten in strapless.  She does it too.  

Occasional Contributor

I personally was not bothered by Shawns dress, I just thought since theTSV were shoes, it was difficult to see the shoes due to the lenghth of the dress. Would I wear a stapless maxi dress to work negative! I think sometimes we "try to hard "and this may be the case with Shawn but what ever 

@ECGB Seriously? That analogy is laughable. No bank teller, salesman, doctor, or grocery clerk would be accepted wearing high heels and a bathing suit. You trying to make a comparison to that and what Shawn wears is ludicrous. The poster who made the statement "floats your boat" certainly didn't mean for you to take it to such extreme. But I think you know that.
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Stormygirl wrote:
I agree with plaid pants2. Shawn gets her share of bashing. What is inappropriate to a few people may be trendy and fashionable to many others.. I believe perhaps her dress is to fit her "kicky lively persona" The normal corporate dress code doesn't fit entirely per QVC as many times they wear fashions that are sold at the Q....not always though. I think she looks awesome most of the time. Pretty lady who can pull off most anything.. Differing opinions make the world go round I guess. Live and Let Live is my current motto. Is easy peasy just to just turn the channel too. Tastes vary greatly among each other and that is just fine eh?

@Stormygirl*******How would you feel about bank tellers, sales people, doctors, grocery clerks, and others in perhaps coming to work in high heels and a bathing suit if that's what "floats their boat"?

OOPS!!!  I hearted this reply by mistake.  I have never seen any host ever wearing high heels and bathing suit!!  Nothing wrong with strapless clothing for a host.  I also have no problem with anyone in any profession wearing what they like and want.  The only thing that matters to me is how well they do their jobs!!!  The only clothing that I would consider inappropriate would be something unsafe worn such as a flowing scarf worn by someone that keeps getting caught in doors, drawers, shredders, etc.  Appropriate dress is and always will be subjective.  All hosts have differing styles as do we all.  Some carry on as though this host was wearing pasties!!! How can anyone be so bothered by anyone's clothing is something I will never understand!   So called "appropriate" dress and following an imposed dress code does not a conscientous employee make.  I have known and witnessed many who dress conservatively - BUT - workwise just do not have good work ethic.

Those who love to criticize hosts' clothing choices are only a small percentage of those who post and an even smaller percentage of customers.  

@Pook***I don't think the majority of employers or books on professionalism agree with you.  In fact, I don't think you'll find one at all!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Stormygirl wrote:
I agree with plaid pants2. Shawn gets her share of bashing. What is inappropriate to a few people may be trendy and fashionable to many others.. I believe perhaps her dress is to fit her "kicky lively persona" The normal corporate dress code doesn't fit entirely per QVC as many times they wear fashions that are sold at the Q....not always though. I think she looks awesome most of the time. Pretty lady who can pull off most anything.. Differing opinions make the world go round I guess. Live and Let Live is my current motto. Is easy peasy just to just turn the channel too. Tastes vary greatly among each other and that is just fine eh?

@Stormygirl*******How would you feel about bank tellers, sales people, doctors, grocery clerks, and others in perhaps coming to work in high heels and a bathing suit if that's what "floats their boat"?

OOPS!!!  I hearted this reply by mistake.  I have never seen any host ever wearing high heels and bathing suit!!  Nothing wrong with strapless clothing for a host.  I also have no problem with anyone in any profession wearing what they like and want.  The only thing that matters to me is how well they do their jobs!!!  The only clothing that I would consider inappropriate would be something unsafe worn such as a flowing scarf worn by someone that keeps getting caught in doors, drawers, shredders, etc.  Appropriate dress is and always will be subjective.  All hosts have differing styles as do we all.  Some carry on as though this host was wearing pasties!!! How can anyone be so bothered by anyone's clothing is something I will never understand!   So called "appropriate" dress and following an imposed dress code does not a conscientous employee make.  I have known and witnessed many who dress conservatively - BUT - workwise just do not have good work ethic.

Those who love to criticize hosts' clothing choices are only a small percentage of those who post and an even smaller percentage of customers.  

@Pook***I don't think the majority of employers or books on professionalism agree with you.  In fact, I don't think you'll find one at all!

If it were "appropriate" dress, all of the hosts would be wearing something like that. Appropriate means "to the job they're doing," not scandalous.