Regular Contributor

Presale of TSV and Big Deals

Why do the buyers not purchase enough inventory for TSV and Presale items?  Since the majority of them are from previously seen items but in a different version of the item they should have solid numbers of what was sold. 

Perhaps have guarantees from the vendor that sizes or colors of items on waitlist or sold out on the presale will be restocked on the day of the sale.  I'm specifically addressing the Nuage Coat, several colors and sizes are already on waitlist and it will not be presented until the 30th.  Yes I ordered the waitlist size and color and hope I receive a new item not a returned coat

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Presale of TSV and Big Deals

This is pure speculation, but perhaps presale is a more of a tool for QVC to determine if they should alter the number of items the vendor actually ships for the TSV day.  Of course these agreements are made months in advance, but it wouldn't surprise me if QVC has a clause in the contract whereby they can alter the number they want for their  inventory if they think an item will sell more -- or less-- than expected based on presale numbers.  This could also explain why we sometimes see TSV items on waitlist at midnight (they have to wait for the vendor to ship the stuff to them to ship to us). 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@aunt bea 

I agree with you, your post is not the first one I've read regarding this issue.

'Back in the day', during the years of the Insider magazine and pre-sale emails showing future TSV's, only a limited amount would be sold prior to presentation.

That would give buyers a 'fair chance' at ordering the TSV in the event that they didn't subscribe to the Insider or get the pre-sale email.

Fair is fair.........

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I think you have to be an insider to know the answer to that question.  It could be that QVC doesn't want to get stuck with unsold inventory, but it could also be that the vendor is willing to sell QVC only a limited number of their items at a price that makes the TSV work.  We don't have access to that kind of info -  not here, not anywhere.

I was b&m shopping Friday afternoon -  saw a top I liked.  "My" top was there in 3 colors and 3 sizes.  I had a choice of exactly one even though I would guess there were maybe 20 items on that rack, but just one in my size.  Why?  Who knows?  Fortunately, the one that was my size was in colors that worked with the trousers I wanted.

Just had a similar experience online looking for a particular shoe.  Lots of inventory, but in my size not in my preferred color.  I walked away shoeless!

Honored Contributor

I think QVC's buyers often fail at predicting what products, sizes and colors will sell out first; therefore, do not order enough.  Loden and sage green are very popular colors that sell out quickly, but QVC never seems to order enough.  I remember when purple was popular.  It always sold out before others.

On the other hand, presented yesterday was a Peace Love World puffer coat I would have purchased, except it only came in loden green.  I suppose buyers thought since loden green sells out quickly, everyone would love it.  I don't wear loden green and wouldn't buy anything in that color even if I loved the item.

Well, the coats didn't sell out last time I looked...I suspect reasons are the color and price.  One, not everyone likes this color.

So, QVC lost a sale because sometimes it appears buyers don't have a clue.