Respected Contributor

Posters who resort to name calling

I read all the hosts/vendor blogs.  What I have noticed is that for the most part people will make a negative or positive comment and other posters will let it go.  One host's blogs always create a lot of opposing opinions among posters.  What bothers me is the name calling that takes place.  

I just now now read a blog and the poster called the non fans "idiots."  I ask you, is this an intelligent way to voice your opinion?  People like this do not know the host or the posters personally yet feel quite comfortable calling others names.  

I would like like to see the moderators add certain words, like 'idiot' and others to the do not use list.

QVC Customer Care

Re: Posters who resort to name calling

This post has been removed by QVC because its argumentative.

Honored Contributor

I view such posters as doing the best they can at their current level of intellect.

Esteemed Contributor

The Internet has brought out the worst in some people. Anonymity has led to some really nasty remarks. Worse, this impolite nonsense has carried over to real-life interactions. We've gone from online rudeness to real life disgraceful behavior. Having been around awhile, I can tell you that in all the decades I've followed presidential debates, I've never seen such obnoxious name calling. It's way beneath the level of civil discourse. 

Honored Contributor

I would object to the word 'idiot' being put on a do not post word list here.

Same as with the word 'idiotic' or 'idiocy'.

Remember when we couldn't type the word 'bush'?

So many times I had to substitute the word 'shrub' when I was over on the Garden forum here.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

people now say things that they wouldn't dream of saying to your face because of the internet.  that's cowardice imo.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the mods should handle it, over there. 

As a general rule: one should attack the subject matter, not the posters character.

I think constructive criticism with the hosts/vendors is fine and valuable.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC for quoting a deleted post

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I view such posters as doing the best they can at their current level of intellect.

Yes, and questioning a posters intellect isn't name calling! It's just a nicer way of calling a poster an idiot.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I think the mods should handle it, over there. 

As a general rule: one should attack the subject matter, not the posters character.

I think constructive criticism with the hosts/vendors is fine and valuable.

I do too, but when you don't care for a host and complain about their on air persona their fans take it personally and then attack the OP.