Frequent Contributor

Position of waists on garments

It seems that the positions of the waist for many jackets, coats, sweaters, etc. is above the natural waist line. I've heard several hosts and designers say that it's supposed to give you a "longer line" visually. I have returned every garment that has higher waist line because it is so uncomfortable to wear. I feel like I just keep trying to pull it down to sit correctly and to  feel good. The distance seems to average about 1- 2" above the natural waist line. I now pay close attention to the models to see where the waist is coming on them. If not on the natural waist, I don't even consider buying it - even if I love everything else about it. Anyone else experience this?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Position of waists on garments

[ Edited ]

I couldn't agree more.  It's maddening.  It never used to be like that but it drives me mad. Who wants a coat belted around your ribs!  :-)

@msvictoria wrote:

It seems that the positions of the waist for many jackets, coats, sweaters, etc. is above the natural waist line. I've heard several hosts and designers say that it's supposed to give you a "longer line" visually. I have returned every garment that has higher waist line because it is so uncomfortable to wear. I feel like I just keep trying to pull it down to sit correctly and to  feel good. The distance seems to average about 1- 2" above the natural waist line. I now pay close attention to the models to see where the waist is coming on them. If not on the natural waist, I don't even consider buying it - even if I love everything else about it. Anyone else experience this?

Honored Contributor

It's something I've noticed as well.  My waist to my body proportion is normal (not high and not low) and I've noticed this (two coats, a Basso and a Liz Claiborne both sent back).

I saw one of the plus-sized models wearing a jacket with an anorak waist and it was pulled in right under her bust.  I looked and went.... whaaat??  Honestly, unless they're bringing back the 60's Empire style (Shhh...we don't want to go there)..... it looked ridiculous.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@msvictoria wrote:

I agree completely.  I don't think it gives anyone a longer line.  It looks like you are wearing a size that is too small.  And it is uncomfortable.  I bought one blazer with a high waist and sent it back.  I too look at the models to see how garments fit at the waist before ordering.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Valued Contributor

It also seems like the waists on the pants come up WAY too high.  It sees the Q in general does not understand that the bustline is not the waist...

I have returned my last pair of pants that come up to my armpits.  no more.

Honored Contributor

"They" say you are thinner there than at your natural waist.    (I don't like the look, either)

♥Surface of the Sun♥