Honored Contributor

Re: Pls say, "We're Offering you..." rather than, "We're Giving you..."

"We're/I'm giving this to you" is very old as a sales spiel and has been/is used extensively in all manner of selling, not just QVC and not just television.

It always makes me laugh and *eyeroll.* 

Any sales tactic that insults my intelligence is irksome, from whoever does it, but for me the bottom line is always do I want it or not?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I agree with the OP, you would think because the Q spends so much money on the BIG SHOW 24/7, it would behove them not to tick off the customers. Yes, some people may not mind the nonsense, but I'm sure we are helping to pay the hosts salaries when we buy these products. That fact denotes ownership, so it's no wonder customers want to be talked to in a certain way and have their requests heard.

Honored Contributor

How about "Congratulations if you got this!" when something sells out. It's as if you won a prize, rather than paid for the item, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

well said 'serenity'!!

Honored Contributor

I always get a kick out of, "Feel free to pick up more than one!!", as if there is a limit on those old lady, up to your boobs, stretch pants.

Honored Contributor

@Serenity-Now wrote:

Nothing is ever being 'given' to us, we are paying for it!  Whenever I hear that phrase, "We are GIVING you..."  it immediately turns me off & I often change the channel.  It just irks me, lol.  So if other people feel the same way, perhaps a better phrase to use is, "We are Offering you...' instead?  

A small thing, but it seems more appropriate.  Thanks for considering it. 

@Serenity-Now

Aren't they giving you the opportunity to check out this product ?  They aren't saying it's free of charge.  

If someone makes a comment like this and it upsets you so much that you have to change the channel, maybe a shopping network show isn't for you ... shop at the Q online and skip the shows.

There are a multitude of hosts with differing backgrounds and experience, and if nit picking about them choosing the wrong word throws you into a tizzy ....  well, we can't all demand that people only talk to us in a certain way, using only certain words.    It's not going to happen.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I don't disagree with you at all!  I may not go so far as to change the channel but I sure do an eye roll. What I do disagree with is the first response you received.  No cause for a rude response to someone elses opinion.  We are all entitled to our likes and dislikes.  No one is demanding anything but making a positive suggestion which I happen to agree with.  

Valued Contributor

@mspatmac I agree. Some just hang out here to disagree with the suggestions or start an argument about it.

Respected Contributor

@Serenity-Now wrote:

Ok naysayers, I get what you are saying.  But I posted this thread deliberately in the "Suggestion" area, and that is my own personal suggestion & I stand by it.  YMMV, and I may or may not agree with what you are saying either, but I'm glad we all have that option in life to make our own choices.

@Serenity-Now I agree with you, naysayers need to get a life. Heart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

I don't disagree with you at all!  I may not go so far as to change the channel but I sure do an eye roll. What I do disagree with is the first response you received.  No cause for a rude response to someone elses opinion.  We are all entitled to our likes and dislikes.  No one is demanding anything but making a positive suggestion which I happen to agree with.  

@mspatmac Yes ma'am! Heart

Don't worry, be Happy!