Respected Contributor

Re: Please say dollars instead of bucks. Bucks is used toooo often.

@Foxxee wrote:

For me, it's not so much using words like bucks and obsessed as it is mispronunciation of words.

The other evening we had to go through how to pronounce 'mauve" again.  Once again the host openly stated she was confused; however, someone said "Well, Isaac says "mov" , long O, as if he's the final word.  I didn't know he also was an English teacher.

Don't know why this bothers me so much, other than in school, our teachers were always correcting us. They were such sticklers to speaking American English properly, we checked ourselves even before we opened our mouths. 

It was almost as if they were saying "You're not getting out of here until you pronounce all your words correctly."  None of us wanted to spend the rest of our lives in school prison.  

@Foxxee 

Speaking of pronouncing of words, it's always changing.  Forever ago when I went to school the teachers had us students pronounce words in only one way.

Apparently pronounciation of words can vary by region.  Things do change.

For example, I found this Googling. 

The “l” in “almond” was silent until very recently. That's the only pronunciation given in my old 1956 printing of the unabridged Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language (2d ed.). ... More recent standard dictionaries say we can now properly pronounce “almond” either with or without the “l” sound.

Seems like anything goes nowadays. Woman Happy 

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

For me, it's not so much using words like bucks and obsessed as it is mispronunciation of words.

The other evening we had to go through how to pronounce 'mauve" again.  Once again the host openly stated she was confused; however, someone said "Well, Isaac says "mov" , long O, as if he's the final word.  I didn't know he also was an English teacher.

Don't know why this bothers me so much, other than in school, our teachers were always correcting us. They were such sticklers to speaking American English properly, we checked ourselves even before we opened our mouths. 

It was almost as if they were saying "You're not getting out of here until you pronounce all your words correctly."  None of us wanted to spend the rest of our lives in school prison.  

@Foxxee 

Speaking of pronouncing of words, it's always changing.  Forever ago when I went to school the teachers had us students pronounce words in only one way.

Apparently pronounciation of words can vary by region.  Things do change.

For example, I found this Googling. 

The “l” in “almond” was silent until very recently. That's the only pronunciation given in my old 1956 printing of the unabridged Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language (2d ed.). ... More recent standard dictionaries say we can now properly pronounce “almond” either with or without the “l” sound.

Seems like anything goes nowadays. Woman Happy 

@Sunshine Kate 

I was taught "Standard English."  Also called "Newscasters English."  It was spoken in the college I attended.  It's associated with formal schooling and what has become standard English in the United States.  It's what's used in newscasting, universities, and other public institutions. 

What defines Standard English?

Definition: Standard English is the English that is held by many to be 'correct' in the sense that it shows none of the regional or other variations that are considered by some to be ungrammatical, or non-standard English.

'Received Pronunciation' is the way Standard English is spoken; without regional variations.

Multigeneration almond farmers in N. California say ah-mend.  S. Californians say al-mond.  When asked, farmers didn't know why they say ah-mend.

Possibly, it came from French immigrants who settled there years ago.

Cambridge University Dictionary pronounces it al-mond in British and American English.

Despite the farmers using ah-mend and Webster saying it is correct, it still isn't Standard English. 

Honored Contributor

Bucks doesn't annoy me as much as the tiresome, constantly used over and over again expressions, deep dive and as well are stand outs for me.  

This is an old complaint and has been covered many times on these posts.  For awhile I have been checking out the items on the Q site to avoid the presentations.  

Valued Contributor

I just ran across something QVC now offers.  A brand called 'Save the Girls'.

What are they referring to, breasts?

I'm sorry for the little ones in the age bracket which we all call girls. It's kind of teaching them to call their body parts girls, and the same for the young boys and the reference used to other body parts. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CaChica wrote:

I just ran across something QVC now offers.  A brand called 'Save the Girls'.

What are they referring to, breasts?

It is not referring to breasts. It is referring to not using your bra as a cell phone holder. Look up the company instead of jumping to conclusions.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

My pet peeve is the speech police.   I've been to almost every state and they all have different ways of pronouncing words.  I can drive 90 minutes south in my own state and hear a whole different dialect.  Why let yourself be irritated over something you can't control.  

People get irritated over what irritates them; what's the big deal? Your pet peeve is the speech police; that's what irritates you. So why are you complaining?

@GoneButNotForgotten  Why are you telling posters what they can and can't post?

You must have reading comprehensions problems because I didn't sat that.

Frequent Contributor

I agree with you. I'm definitely not a fan of "slang words".