Occasional Contributor

Please say dollars instead of bucks. Bucks is used toooo often.

QVC Customer Care

Re: Please say dollars instead of bucks. Bucks is used toooo often.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, it's not so much using words like bucks and obsessed as it is mispronunciation of words.

The other evening we had to go through how to pronounce 'mauve" again.  Once again the host openly stated she was confused; however, someone said "Well, Isaac says "mov" , long O, as if he's the final word.  I didn't know he also was an English teacher.

Don't know why this bothers me so much, other than in school, our teachers were always correcting us. They were such sticklers to speaking American English properly, we checked ourselves even before we opened our mouths. 

It was almost as if they were saying "You're not getting out of here until you pronounce all your words correctly."  None of us wanted to spend the rest of our lives in school prison.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have to say i agree....for some reason the word "bucks" 

just sounds like wording from generations ago.....old movies, flash commercials, etc....hahha..

I also hate women's chests being referred to as "the girls"....just another quirk of mine....

Everyone has their own opinions....

Respected Contributor

I have to agree also ... that drives me nuts ....

Respected Contributor

And yes I have plenty of other stuff to worry about and do change

the channel ....

Honored Contributor

@Ebbtide   BUCKS! BUCKS!  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Honestly, this doesn't bother me at all, especially considering A) there are only two hosts who really say it, and B) there are far more annoying things being said every day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My pet peeve is the speech police.   I've been to almost every state and they all have different ways of pronouncing words.  I can drive 90 minutes south in my own state and hear a whole different dialect.  Why let yourself be irritated over something you can't control.  

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

My pet peeve is the speech police.   I've been to almost every state and they all have different ways of pronouncing words.  I can drive 90 minutes south in my own state and hear a whole different dialect.  Why let yourself be irritated over something you can't control.  

@CalminHeart    I have to agree...Dialects differ and it really doesn't bother me.  I am originally from the Pittsburgh area and visit family there as much as possible. I actually get a kick out of their dialect and expressions.  My brother just asked me "when are yinz coming to the Burg?"  😄