Honored Contributor

Re: Please let us edit our forum post titles

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Mindy D,  This illustrates the steps to edit the thread title, using my "Pet Lovers" thread as an example.

1 -- Click/tap on the three dots in the upper right corner of your original post to see the "Option Menu." 

Choose "Edit Message" and you'll not only have the option to edit your post you'll also have the option of changing the thread title.   

2 -- Look at the box above the body of your original post text, containing the current thread title.   

Place your cursor there and edit.

3 -- Then, scroll down to the bottom of the post and click/tap on the word "POST" to save your changes.

Step 1:

374142D1-3C6D-4645-9A97-9D6F1CF5928A.jpeg

Step 2:

398CC65A-EBDD-4433-A8F5-DCF0F027B014.jpeg

Step 3:

D606C122-EA2D-4893-9416-AA952965E4CC.jpeg

I hope this helps.😊  Sometimes the features on this website can be less than obvious or intuitive.🌻

Thanks for your help. I do this to edit posts but once Ihave pressed POST I can not go back and edit title with my iPad if I’m on Safari, Apple’s browser. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

Thanks for your help. I do this to edit posts but once Ihave pressed POST I can not go back and edit title with my iPad if I’m on Safari, Apple’s browser. 

You're welcome, @Mindy D.😊   Beyond what I've posted already, all I can add is that I can edit my thread titles with my iPad 6, iOS 12.3.1.   

The screen shots used for my posted examples were done on my iPad while editing my thread title.

I even tried using my older mobile devices with older operating system versions, which are the most current available for them, the iPhone 5 (iOS 10.3.3), and iPad 3 (iOS 9.3.5).   

It sounds like your problem is specific to your device --

is the iOS up-to-date, do you occasionally close the Safari app running in background and then in Settings for Safari "Clear History and Website Data" (including the "Advanced" "Website Data")? 

Since the Community forum website software does allow us to change our thread subject at the same time that we use the "Edit" feature to edit the original post, something about your iPad is interefering if you don't see what I showed in my screen shots --

I wish I could be of more help.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Mindy D   I just wanted to add that to change the title you need to do it in the first post in the thread.  That is probably obvious but just wanted to point that out.  That will change it in the main forum title and when people reply to that first post.  The titles in the subsequent posts in the thread (that were already the original title) will not change.  New posts replying to the first post will have the new title.

Then I need to request that we be able to edit after our first post. I often notice an error in my titles and I want to be able to fix errors anytime I see them. My iPad changes what I write to what IT wants to write.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Mindy D   I just wanted to add that to change the title you need to do it in the first post in the thread.  That is probably obvious but just wanted to point that out.  That will change it in the main forum title and when people reply to that first post.  The titles in the subsequent posts in the thread (that were already the original title) will not change.  New posts replying to the first post will have the new title.

Then I need to request that we be able to edit after our first post. I often notice an error in my titles and I want to be able to fix errors anytime I see them. My iPad changes what I write to what IT wants to write.

@Mindy D,  I think you're misinterpreting @NickNack's comment.   You can't change the subtitle that appears on other posters' responses but as long as the thread is an open thread (still accepts comments), you can change the original thread title and also the sub-title of any responses you added to the discussion.   

The thread subtitle shown in responses is a free-text field (not a hyperlink) that copies the title shown in the post a person uses when they click "REPLY."   

If they click "REPLY" on the original post, or use "REPLY" at the very top of a thread, their subtitle will match what the original post thread title was when they added their response.   

Regardless of the subtitles shown above each reply, the fact remains that the creator of a thread does have access to change the main thread title whenever they wish, as long as the thread is open -- I'm not sure they can do that after a thread is closed for comments.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D,  I wanted to add something else, since you said:   "My iPad changes what I write to what IT wants to write."    The forum software does offer "suggestions" for a thread title unless you disable that feature.    If you see it automatically filling in something you don't want, just delete the auto-filled free text and add your own.   I hope this is helpful.🌻