Honored Contributor

Re: Please enforce corporate dress code

@Q4u wrote:

I'm sure that Q's Corporate employees dress in a Corporate manner, however, the hosts for the programming on QVC are "show hosts".....  they are in effect on a stage/in front of a camara "performing".  As such, their dress would not fall into a Corporate "look".... far from it, they would wear the clothing, shoes and jewelry fashions that they are trying to sell.  At the very least, they would wear what is current and fashionable.

I have watched QVC since the early-mid 90's and have never seen anyone wear anything inappropriate!!  Ever!

As far as Shawn's style, she wears what's fashionable.  Off the shoulder is EVERYWHERE.  As a matter of fact a bride would be hard pressed to find something OTHER THAN a bare shoulder, bustier gown.  IMHO she always looks fine.

It would be a sad day in QVC land when/if the hosts were told to dress "Corporate".  I can't think of anything less appropriate for these shows.

Not being snarky but how much do you watch if you think the hosts are wearing what they are trying to sell?  That is a whole nother topic that is discussed quite frequently on these boards.  LOL 

Trusted Contributor

Twice within hours seasoned QVC hosts shared details of QVC corporate dress code.  Both Leah and Jayne told us that open toed shoes are not appropriate for their own corporate setting.  The organization has every right to insist their employees respect their environment. 

Shouldn't they also respect our homes?  When I look up into someone's underarm and bare chest spread across a 42 inch screen it is unbidden, unwelcomed.  If tattered jeans are offensive to PTB in their space, shouldn't they consider that tube tops and strapless sundresses and wide shots of  behinds in skin tight leggings, especially  in situations that certainly do not call for them, are offensive to me? 

Not all QVC viewers are from permissive, lesse faire, anything goes backgrounds. For some, standards of country, church, academia, community  dictate respect for oneself and one's neighbor.  If these standards are upheld in the QVC workplace can there not be some modulation of what is broadcast into the viewers' homes?  

Honored Contributor

If you are serious, you need to contact corporate and the head of QVC. Posting and arguing with everyone here will get you nowhere.

If what is shown on QVC is so offensive to you, you shouldn't watch. Maybe something will change if you contact the correct people.

Honored Contributor

Unless the news media just isn't reporting it, no one is tied to a chair and forced to watch QVC or anything else.

No aired program is required to be "respectful" of anything but FTC regulations. They certainly aren't required to be held as some sort of hostage to the non-mainstream views of a tiny minority who just can't seem to stop watching what supposedly totally disgusts them. If it's unbidden and unwelcome, DON'T WATCH IT. No laws are being broken, and as far as the Federal government, no regulations either.

The government, QVC, and the rest of the world just don't need to cater to the wants and sensibilities of the Few, The Fringe, the Fanatical. And won't be missing the revenue from the very small number of posters who are massively offended but yet keep watching...just to be offended?

FYI, no open-toed shoes are a *safety* issue from OSHA and it has zero to do with fashion appropriateness or dress code in the style sense.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

You are in charge of deciding what TV programs you allow into your home.  Just like you can turn off a drama or a comedy show that you find objectionable or not watch a newscaster you feel is dressed inappropriately you have the same choice when it comes to a shopping channel.  QVC is in the business of selling merchandise not catering to the viewpoints of a few customers.  Don't like the way a host is dressed then refuse to buy anything from that host. If there are enough customers who exercised their right not to watch or buy because of the fashion choices of a host then the sales figures for that host would fall and QVC would take note.  I seriously doubt that there is a sufficient number of such viewers to impact sales figures but you certainly have the right to vote with your wallet.

Esteemed Contributor

@CoG wrote:

Twice within hours seasoned QVC hosts shared details of QVC corporate dress code.  Both Leah and Jayne told us that open toed shoes are not appropriate for their own corporate setting.  The organization has every right to insist their employees respect their environment. 

Shouldn't they also respect our homes?  When I look up into someone's underarm and bare chest spread across a 42 inch screen it is unbidden, unwelcomed.  If tattered jeans are offensive to PTB in their space, shouldn't they consider that tube tops and strapless sundresses and wide shots of  behinds in skin tight leggings, especially  in situations that certainly do not call for them, are offensive to me? 

Not all QVC viewers are from permissive, lesse faire, anything goes backgrounds. For some, standards of country, church, academia, community  dictate respect for oneself and one's neighbor.  If these standards are upheld in the QVC workplace can there not be some modulation of what is broadcast into the viewers' homes?  

I'm surprised because those two are always in sandals.  So, I'm not quite so sure.  What were the selling at the time? Some Clark's sensible shoes? There's a difference between dress in the corporate office and dress when on air.  I seriously doubt that you have seen a bare chest.  Bare means n*ked.  That never ever happened.  Think about that statement and rephrase.  Who has ever worn a tube top?  Leggings are suppose to skin tight hence the name leggings.  If they were loose then they would be pants.

Respected Contributor

@CoG wrote:

You presume that everyone feels as you do.  If you feel they are not "respecting your home" you can make a decision to turn off the TV or change the channel.  To suggest that because you are offended, everyone must be offended shows a lack of consideration for those who are not so bothered.

Not all QVC viewers are concerned with religious mores or are ultra sensitive to the clothing choices made by QVC hosts.  I wasn't raised in a laissez faire  or anything goes environment.  Frankly, that has nothing to do with my tolerance level for fashion choices. 

I refuse to get twisted over strapless tops, leggings and tattered jeans.  Those clothing choices may not be appropriate in all settings, but they are certainly not offensive to me.  I wear some of those choices.  Woman Very Happy

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I'll repeat what I just wrote on another thread:

Just because someone is on a diet doesn't mean they get to dictate the removal of the cookies from all the grocery stores.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@CoG - Interesting that you've waited nearly two weeks to suddenly come back and "revive" this topic, repeating the same narrow, intolerant views as in your first post.

And my only comment to you is, keep your religion and your intolerant attitude out of my shopping channel.

You must love it really.  Why else would you continue to watch and spout such utter nonsense?  (I sense a troll.)  "Methinks the lady doth protest too much!"

Esteemed Contributor

Just wear the clothes you are selling, and you will have no problems.