Respected Contributor

Please Explain 'Controversial Topics' from 'Community Guidelines' Options

Trying to figure out exactly what the posted "Community Guidelines" under "Welcome Get Started" mean.

::

Here's the part:

"Controversial topics will be removed – Discussions of a controversial or confrontational nature will be removed at our discretion. The following are examples of topics that generally create a negative dialogue between Community members which will result in removal of the discussion and possible banning: current events, politics, religious beliefs, and unkind comments about hosts, vendors, models, or employees."

Does that mean ALL the part after the word "banning:" are violations?

Or does it mean if they turn into "a negative dialogue between Community members" then that will be a violation?

The way they included "current events" I think it's confusing because lots of current events are interesting and not "controversial" "or "confrontational".

Maybe the Social Team will help out defining this.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please Explain 'Controversial Topics' from 'Community Guidelines' Options

Yes...I'd like an explanation of this, too.
~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are some good responses to your thread in Community Chat, @newziesuzie.

Go back to:  Please Explain 'Controversial Topics' from 'Community Guidelines'

(link goes to:  http://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/Please-Explain-Controversial-Topics-from-Community-Guidel...)

The concensus seems to be that nothing has changed in the actual standards...  they were just a tiny bit clumsy in their attempt to explain them.

But it would be helpful if someone from the Social Team would clarify.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
I think it means that If you post about current events, politics, religion or post unkind things about hosts/vendors the posts will be removed because they generally create a negative dialogue in the community. And I gather the person(s) posting risks being banned. I am guessing they will give people a couple of chances to abide and then they will banish them. I would however like an explanation of current events. No discussions of any current events? I don't get that. Like the prison break in NY. We couldn't talk about that??? An explanation is definitely in order.
Honored Contributor

I'll add a couple of comments from the other thread:

@dooBdoo wrote:
@Burnsite wrote:

Newsie,

Your question is:  "Does that mean ALL the part after the word "banning:" are violations?  Or does it mean if they turn into "a negative dialogue between Community members" then that will be a violation?"

I would think it was the second part--IF a discussion turns negative then it will be deleted.  That is not a change from prior forums (fora?).

I agree with you, @Burnsite.  I think it was clumsily written, but I think the meaning is the part I placed in bold text in your post.

In looking at their entire post, they seem only to be trying to clarify the old, existing standards which haven't been changed as far as I can see.

eta:  I also agree with @SaRina's post. Smiley Happy

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

And this is Justina's post I agreed with:

Justina wrote:

If you really examine the verbiage here...

"Controversial topics will be removed – Discussions of a controversial or confrontational nature will be removed at our discretion. The following are examples of topics that generally create a negative dialogue between Community members which will result in removal of the discussion and possible banning: current events, politics, religious beliefs, and unkind comments about hosts, vendors, models, or employees."

...this is how I would interpret it...but I could be wrong. lol

Sentence 1:  Ambiguous because the first part states outright that "controversial topics will be removed".  However...then it continues to say "will be removed at our discretion" which means to me that you can go ahead and post them but they may be removed.  They continue to give "examples" that "generally" create negative dialogue.  By using the word "generally" that.. to me.. also does not necessarily exclude such topics from being posted because it's saying that it is possible for such topics to have a civil dialogue (only suggesting that such topics "generally create a negative dialogue between Community members")...

....so that if the dialogue turns negative it will result in removal and possible banning.

Therefore...I would agree with Burnsite.

How's that?  Can you tell I'm bored?