Honored Contributor

Re: Personally some of the food demos

@Pook wrote:

That's what makes the food more appealing - seeing how moist, soft or gooey is what could make me want to order.  Also to see the hosts ejoying the food would make it more appealing to me.  Just showing the food and cutting it and showing a host tasting and calmly saying it was good surely would not make it appealing to me,  would not result in the high sales and many sellouts they have!  Definitely not a good sales tactic.  

I think there's a happy medium, which will probably never be achieved.

While the yummy-faces don't bother me (was channel-surfing yesterday and this is common in non-QVC-related infomercials re pots, pans and appliances, i.e. not at all exclusive to QVC), the fingers annoy me (who does it to that extent when you're nibbling? It's like you're caressing the bowl of whatever in a really creepy way, like slowly stroking leather handbags -ew), and the breaking apart to see the inside doesn't impress me.

Many of the close-ups of cooking on-camera or cooked dishes on the demo table just gross me out because extreme close-ups don't actually look like food to me, or appetizing at all, especially when you take into consideration that everyone's TV displays colors slightly differently.

As far as seeing the inside of something, I have read MANY reviews that state the food item they received was NOT like what was seen in the TV demo. Nut & fruit mixes with 90% raisins & broken peanuts and not 90% huge cashews and choc-covered large pieces of fruit, for example. Chocolates or cakes/cookies/breads that look moist and fresh that when received are not. What you see is often NOT what you get, so I take the visuals with a grain of salt.

I have experienced this myself with a couple of items - Germack (not aired proportions in the mix) and Cheryl's cookies (fresh cookies dry within 2 days, frozen cookies dried out when thawed). I ended up throwing away about 65% of the cookies within a month as plain stale.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I do not watch food shows. Years ago I bought two different items. Both were disappointing. Twice was enough for me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We don't ike the "Charmin guy" routine. Get rid of this "appeal to the goofy kid in all of us"? stuff. Very tired countrified sales tactics. Hey teacher, leave those kids alone.Woman Tongue

Valued Contributor

I agree.  They can use utensils and still show the inside and how gooey and moist the food items are.  The chocolates they sold on Sunday were so small, so the fingers were prominent in the shot.   It completely turned me off.  He could have used a knife.  It would also be more professional. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm not tempted by any of the food on the Q, don't even watch the food shows.  It's all over priced for what it is.  But, I do agree, the fingers in the food is nasty.  On David's kitchen shows, the channel changes when the lady with dirty fingernails starts pulling the dried cherries apart!  Why doesn't someone tell her how nasty her playing with that stuff looks on TV?

Valued Contributor

pink girly bubblegum eww rosy
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

That's what makes the food more appealing - seeing how moist, soft or gooey is what could make me want to order.  Also to see the hosts ejoying the food would make it more appealing to me.  Just showing the food and cutting it and showing a host tasting and calmly saying it was good surely would not make it appealing to me,  would not result in the high sales and many sellouts they have!  Definitely not a good sales tactic.  

I agree. 

Honored Contributor

I never watch food or cooking shows ever, QVC or otherwise.  I find them all very unappetizing in every way.  They totally gross me out.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986