Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I frequently hear them give a price of one easy payment and infer it's the total price.  I often wonder how many elderly, visually impaired people order thinking they're getting a bargain and never realize what has happened.

Exactly. It may not be "literally" how they say it...but they do imply, "get it home for..." or "for ....you're trying this" and then kinda sorta skate over how that's just "a payment" of several. Yes, misleading, and really a sales tactic they should retire. I don't like it either. Plenty of ways to actually sell and inform without misleading, and just doesn't speak to a company that touts "shop with confidence" trying so hard to maintain that customer trust. Or in today speak...to me...it's "off brand" for Q. But what do I know...TPTB know what's working for them or not...or...do they?

Esteemed Contributor

It's a sales ploy just like the infomercials. I am less aggravated by hearinng the full price than constant yapping about EZ pay. They should say $100 or 4 payments of $25 PLUS $5.50 S&H

Respected Contributor

Re: PRICE IS NOT EASY PAY!

[ Edited ]

I agree that it's misleading and deceitful, and frankly, I can't believe some lawyer hasn't addressed this with them.

I realize that it's also showing on the screen, but it sounds like a "verbal" advertisement of the one EZ pay amount, so it surprises me that they still say it. 

Sort of like a radio advertisement.....

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

It's a sales ploy just like the infomercials. I am less aggravated by hearinng the full price than constant yapping about EZ pay. They should say $100 or 4 payments of $25 PLUS $5.50 S&H

Agree! I'm a responsible adult...I think most customers are...treat your customer that way...it goes a long way. I've worked in sales/retail...it has worked. Inform people, give them the straight monetary info, excite them about the product, tell them how it can help them, enhance their life, solve a common problem...and then let them decide. All the mumbo jumbo of sales to me should be outdated. Waste of everyone's energy.  I'm sure I'm a bit naive, in that it does work to some extent. But having worked for various very successful businesses that sold goods...the other went a long way, instilled confidence, created great "word of mouth", repeat business, customer loyalty, bottom line sales growth and maintained integrity. Many of us can analyze, read between the lines and make decisions...the elderly, or hard of hearing, are preyed upon; I hate that. ...speaks poorly of a company to me; it matters.  Sorry if I got too preachy about it!  

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I frequently hear them give a price of one easy payment and infer it's the total price.  I often wonder how many elderly, visually impaired people order thinking they're getting a bargain and never realize what has happened.

Exactly. It may not be "literally" how they say it...but they do imply, "get it home for..." or "for ....you're trying this" and then kinda sorta skate over how that's just "a payment" of several. Yes, misleading, and really a sales tactic they should retire. I don't like it either. Plenty of ways to actually sell and inform without misleading, and just doesn't speak to a company that touts "shop with confidence" trying so hard to maintain that customer trust. Or in today speak...to me...it's "off brand" for Q. But what do I know...TPTB know what's working for them or not...or...do they?

Add to that the fact that when you buy it defaults to EZ-Pay.  

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Anyone that has issues not being able to know the full price of something when it is clearly shown on the screen has issues that won't be resolved by a host saying over and over what the full price is and would surely make the majority of those watching irritated by it!

@Pook    Did it ever occur to you that many people can't read the text on the screen?  Both of my college grad parents had macular degeneration, and neither could have read it.

Also, many people don't have the level of education or sophistication needed to outwit a TV salesperson.  They should give the price, the whole price and nothing but the price.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

I agree that it's misleading and deceitful, and frankly, I can't believe some lawyer hasn't addressed this with them.

ITA, kinda like I can't believe Josie Maran gets away with some of the claims she makes about her argan oil, like how it will totally get rid of wrinkles. I thought legally they can't say things like that.

Trusted Contributor

Re: PRICE IS NOT EASY PAY!

[ Edited ]

Good thing I do not have early onset dementia, hearing or vision loss..

Deceptive sales pitch!  🤔🤬

"Caveat emptor!"

Esteemed Contributor

I can remember when they used to say............40.00 or 4 easy pays of 10.00.  Now that was not misleading.

But when they say 10.00 can get it to you and never mention the full price, that grates on me!!

Trusted Contributor

@fortune wrote:

Note to hosts:  please do not give one easy pay as the PRICE of an item.  A lot of hosts do this and it is tacky and confusing.  Please give the correct price!

@fortune 

Agree with your complaining.