Honored Contributor

Re: Old blog and Forum posts

I have told a couple of posters that it was an old thread they were responding to so that they would not get in trouble.  I thought I was helping and not admonishing anyone.  But I had the poster get angry with me.  So I quit trying to help.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Ok, so I just have to know if someone can enlighten me lol....why is it such a bad thing to post on an old thread? I've never done it, but just trying to figure out what is such a "no/no" about it? (other than they don't want you to)

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

As @SeaMaiden said, the old threads should be locked so no one can mistakenly respond. Best case scenario would be to delete them.

Any skilled IT department should be able to install a program capable of accomplishing either action.

Such a silly rule for "bumping an old thread". And yet worse things occur with no threats.

It should not be the Mods responsibility to "lock" or "delete" the old threads or to monitor whether someone has responded to an old thread. QVC's IT department really needs to step up and make some minor improvements to the forum.

The poster that responded to the OP about "bumping" also could have handled their response nicer. Instead they came across as threatening.

@Sheila P-Burg   I don't think that old threads should be deleted.  There have been many times when going through search I have looked up various topics to read older threads which have been helpful to me. Since I realized that they are old threads I don't respond and bump them back up.

I believe that an older thread should be automatically locked once it's been a year since the last post has been posted to it but still available to read.

Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

Ok, so I just have to know if someone can enlighten me lol....why is it such a bad thing to post on an old thread? I've never done it, but just trying to figure out what is such a "no/no" about it? (other than they don't want you to)

some things that are bumped up are outdated or contain inaccurate information. some could be considered "controversial" or "baiting."

it really is not that difficult to just begin a brand new thread on the subject matter you want to discuss.

there have been times in the past when trolls bump up years old threads in order to take up the first and second pages of each individual forums. some dont realize it and begin responding to the posts. then people complain that they cannot find the threads they want to post on.

it isnt just forum etiquette rules here, but on many other forum sites.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@GNB1965As I read your post, I kept thinking that it just didn't feel/sound at all as if it came from a moderator.  Every post each of them makes has a name+ identification as a moderator attached.

Subsequent posts by others indicated that my feeling was correct and I thank all who researched and noted that, I thank you all  for your efforts.  I think the mods deserve support for the work they do keeping this forum safer than any other I've seen in recent years.

Esteemed Contributor

Most sites have a privacy policy, and community TOS. It is nice to know about the one year rule. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I think the old threads should be locked.  That way they can be viewed without being opened.  Why can't they do this? 

more than likely it has to do with the software program they are using.

@sunshine45  😄😄😄😄 yes the lousy software program  that does not work 99% of the time

Valued Contributor

@sunshine45  Thank you for your explanation, makes sense :-)

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

Came late and haphazardly to the world of cyber etiquette and ethics, and have NEVER understood "bump" rules.

When I get a letter from an old friend, or see a name in the paper I recognize from the past, I relish the experience. Can't understand why the bump can't be prompted by the same reaction.

I don't object to rule following though.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

Came late and haphazardly to the world of cyber etiquette and ethics, and have NEVER understood "bump" rules.

When I get a letter from an old friend, or see a name in the paper I recognize from the past, I relish the experience. Can't understand why the bump can't be prompted by the same reaction.

I don't object to rule following though.

@violann  I think it’s just a Q rule here. Maybe they don’t want more active threads than they have. BTW you can read the old threads. Sometimes one will pop up with posters from years ago and I read it. Like seeing old posters. Just don’t post on them. lol