Contributor

Re: Nothing for Diabetics???

I am a diabetic as well. I really do not  think people really understand  how hard it is to find   food that taste  decent.   It would be nice   if  Cooking with David would do   a dish     for  a diabetic that is quick and easy.         Sometimes sugar free   is worse than   just a reagular  item      The hardest   part  is  candy and    cakes .           

Super Contributor

@Moonchilde  Your posts are always helpful and enjoyable to read. When I read "occupado in the toidy", I laughed.  I really agree with this post.  

Honored Contributor

My DH is a diabetic.  He has to watch his carbs, not sugar.  So even if something is sugar-free it doesn't mean it's okay for a diabetic to eat.

I've found that most sugar-free items are sweetened with some type of artificial sweetener, often times one that causes horrible stomach problems.  Candy is especially known for being sweetened with malitol or some other "tol" sweetener that can cause a laxative effect.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  Malitol...HORRIBLE stuff. I had no idea how bad until a parent brought in a bunch of Davids Cookies (all in individual bags) for their childs' birthday celebration. Since their child was a diabetic, the parents thought this would be a way to include all the kids as well as their own child with a factory produced, sealed product. They were little bags of bite size chocolate chip cookies. Kids loved them.....

...and then the diarrhea started. That's when I discovered that Malitol was NOT to be given to children under 12 or adults (or anyone) with digestive issues. Parents were ******. The parents of the child honestly had no idea as they had never bought processed diabetic tweets but the school states that you can NOT bring in food items made from home so....they bought the product from David's Cookies's site.

What a nightmare.

Honored Contributor

As I said in an earlier post - the OP needs to look no further than fellow posters as to why no one wants to take a chance on ordering sugar-free items as gifts. 

Some of the artificial ingredients can affect some people, especially if they over-indulge or are extra sensitive to the ingredients. But none of these items would continue to be made and sold at all if simply taking a bite of something gives “everyone” instant diarrhea.

As a diabetic, I eat “sugar-free” foods here and there, and I can tell you that an over-indulgence in fresh organic fruit has affected me far more quickly and harshly than eating a couple of pieces of sugar-free candy (half the box at one time is another matter). 

Anyone who is not diabetic, who may be thinking of buying something sugar-free as a gift for someone else, isn’t going to buy it from QVC after reading what others have said. They don’t want to take a chance that it might be true for everyone.

And then there is the fact, as others have pointed out, that a “sugar-free” cake or cookies is not carb-free, and carbs are what counts for a diabetic. So “sugar free” is not a complete, guilt-free solution.

Just eat the Real Thing less frequently and in smaller portions. Or, as an adult, buy from websites or b&m stores that sell sugar-free items; it’s not going to be QVC because of all the Dire Warning posters weighing in and peope then thinking oh goodness, better not order that!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I certainly wasn't implying that a bite or 2 of sugar-free candy is going to cause explosive issues.  But I do think it's important to point out that eating this could cause distress because some people do not know that.

I have a sensitive stomach so I expect stuff to happen to me.  1 piece of that candy leaves me with severe cramping. 

My DH could prretty much eat anything but he could not eat sugar-free candy.  He had the same problem. 

I had no idea until someone pointed it out to me that the packages of the sugar-free candy states it could have a laxative effect in some people.  

It just all depends on what ones stomach can handle.  No need for all the dramatics here about some of our posts explaining our own experiences.     

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I certainly wasn't implying that a bite or 2 of sugar-free candy is going to cause explosive issues.  But I do think it's important to point out that eating this could cause distress because some people do not know that.

I have a sensitive stomach so I expect stuff to happen to me.  1 piece of that candy leaves me with severe cramping. 

My DH could prretty much eat anything but he could not eat sugar-free candy.  He had the same problem. 

I had no idea until someone pointed it out to me that the packages of the sugar-free candy states it could have a laxative effect in some people.  

It just all depends on what ones stomach can handle.  No need for all the dramatics here about some of our posts explaining our own experiences.     

“No need for some of the dramatics here” - LOL. 

I have no issue with peoples’ individual personal experiences, nor do I discount them. The OP is questioning why doesn’t QVC offer sugar-free products “any more” (when they have in the past). I stated that I have seen within this thread (as well as multiple other threads each Easter and Xmas) people posting vehemently about not wanting to eat/not being able to eat the ingredients in sugar-free candy because of these additives, or just because “it’s bad for you” in some/any way.

IMO, people coming to the forums looking for info on sugar-free products and whether their loved one might enjoy them are going to be turned off ordering these products by the idea that it might be bad for their loved one. No one wants to give their diabetic grandchild or aunt or grandma diarrhea. So, no/fewer orders, QVC stops carrying it.

I’m not suggesting that anyone stop posting their experiences or that they aren’t true, but I am saying that the cumulative posting of those experiences has an effect on what gets ordered - or doesn’t get ordered - when unfamiliar and curious potential buyers read what’s posted on the subject from year to year.

And it’s still true that the ingredients don’t effect everyone exactly the same, otherwise all companies would just stop making the products. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Just my opinion, but since my daughter has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I doubt she'd  be shopping on the QVC website for things she should/can eat.  

She's been following a healthy whole foods diet for many years...I can't see her wanting to start eating artificial food products at this point.  In fact , she's been advised to not go this route. 

As already mentioned, it's better to have some real sugar items in small doses.  

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

The problem with "sugar free" or "no added sugar" offerings is that there is still a ton of carbs in them, which are turned into sugar in our bodies.  I'm a type 2 diabetic and rarely eat sugar free items because of the reaction I get from them.  For me, my blood sugars can't handle 20 carbs for one cookie ....  Woman Frustrated

@Q4u

My digestive system can't tolerate anything sugar free.