Esteemed Contributor

Re: Not really digging the negative banter between hosts and guests

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@eyeron wrote:

I totally get sarcasm but when a person goes on and on in a sarcastic way it can get very annoying.... even among friends.  ANYWAY..... QVC wins thanks to Shawn because.... how many people (who are reading this thread) went back to find that video and watched all about the Amazon Fire tablet?  lol!  

@eyeron   Not me. I could not care less what she says or how she said it. It's up to the vendor or the "person" in her ear piece to shut it down. 

@Shanus   I have witnessed on air that neither the vendor nor the producer in the host's ear can be counted on to address a host's ill-advised behavior or comment.  The vendor never wants to appear at odds with the host, so they go along with them, even when the host gives incorrect information.  I've seen some hosts apologize in a near panic if they have to correct a host on air.  A rude comment comes across as a joke or something they didn't "pick up."  I've seen this many times.

As far as the producer goes, they are usually in their 20's who know full well that certain hosts are not to be corrected because they have some apparent "pull" at QVC.  I mention their age only to say they have far less tenure at QVC, and they want to stay in good standing with a host that gets numerous high-profile shows. 

And how do you know the age of the producer?

Do you know them personally, or are you just making an assumption, simply because the show isn't run the way that you want it to be?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@bluetail fly  I agree with what you said about sarcasm. Sometimes it’s very mean and hateful.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

Shawn was argumentative as if she were arguing either with Alexa or the presenter about Alexa's response.  Just my opinion.  I don't care how she always is with this presenter, she might need a break from work. The gentleman made the remark about not really friends in an effort to make it as light as possible without being offensive or defensive.  He handled it well. Shawn not so much.  Sorry I do not agree with everyone.  I found her remarks somewhat snide.

I agree. She must be able to sell a tremendous amount.

She has a  plethora of minions who hang on her every word.

Frankly, she drives me nuts--can't watch her.  And don't like her cutesy sayings like "SIDEBAR"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@eyeron wrote:

I totally get sarcasm but when a person goes on and on in a sarcastic way it can get very annoying.... even among friends.  ANYWAY..... QVC wins thanks to Shawn because.... how many people (who are reading this thread) went back to find that video and watched all about the Amazon Fire tablet?  lol!  

@eyeron   Not me. I could not care less what she says or how she said it. It's up to the vendor or the "person" in her ear piece to shut it down. 

@Shanus   I have witnessed on air that neither the vendor nor the producer in the host's ear can be counted on to address a host's ill-advised behavior or comment.  The vendor never wants to appear at odds with the host, so they go along with them, even when the host gives incorrect information.  I've seen some hosts apologize in a near panic if they have to correct a host on air.  A rude comment comes across as a joke or something they didn't "pick up."  I've seen this many times.

As far as the producer goes, they are usually in their 20's who know full well that certain hosts are not to be corrected because they have some apparent "pull" at QVC.  I mention their age only to say they have far less tenure at QVC, and they want to stay in good standing with a host that gets numerous high-profile shows. 

And how do you know the age of the producer?

Do you know them personally, or are you just making an assumption, simply because the show isn't run the way that you want it to be?

I see I've rufled a feather or two.  @Anonymous032819 ,  I never once mentioned that a show is not run the way I want it to -- I don't have have that much invested in a TV shopping show.  I mentioned an observation, that's all.  I have seen multiple producers:

1)  when the host asks for the camera turned to the producer who came out to the floor in the studio, and

2)  when the hosts identify their producer in one of their photos on their social media page.

Again, as I had written in my earlier post, my point was not about their age, it was about how long they have probably been at QVC versus the more tenured hosts.  

All you had to do was ask, there was no reason for the sarcastic remark.

Esteemed Contributor

Youi're absolutely correct about the producers @Caaareful Shopper !

There have been numerous occasions when they have been brought on air and frequently show up in pictures on hosts' social media.

They are undoubtedly extremely young and I think there is a lot of turnover.

The veteran hosts probably get nothing but positive feedback from them.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

First let me say I did NOT see the show.

However, I have a tendency (at times) to have a sarcastic sense of humor, at a situation.  I dont think I have ever been sarcastic (joke) to a person.  If I have I did not mean to insult the person just make a funny.  But I have learned that not all people find sarcasm funny no matter the situation.  If a sarcastic joke pops into my head now I keep my mouth shut.

So maybe TV hosting would not be the best time to display the sarcastic sense of humor.

I hope this makes sense as I found it difficult to explain.

@Imaoldhippie  You should have watched it.  She was disparaging the product he was selling.

Respected Contributor

The look on Brett’s face was priceless, he looked like he was so discussed with Shawn’s silliness. He was probably very relieved when it was over. 

Honored Contributor

• @Nonametoday wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Johnnyeager  Don't you think it is rude to call people who like Shawn minions?  

I do.

No.  It implies they follow her because she is a powerful person.  Do you not understand Webster?

oh yes, I do know what the word minion means. One of the meanings is a subservient person...Shawn is not powerful person and people who like her are not subservient.

Come on, she is a person who presents stuff on  TV, no more, no less.

I don't understand how people get so wrapped up in a Hosts and Vendors lives.  Yes, some make mistakes.  It is live TV.   You can't erase your mistakes or take it back.

Everyone makes mistakes on the job...everyone.  Not many of those errors are viewed by millions of people who clutch their pearls, gasp and discuss it.

The boards have more discussions that are negative about QVC and their hosts than any other topic....and most are silly and juvenile.  

• OMG, host is wearing socks, or not wearing socks
  • OMG, the hosts are wearing PJ's
  • OMG, the host is wearing glasses that distract me
  • OMG, the host is wearing her hair with  bangs.
  • OMG, the host said something rude
  • OMG,the host is not on tonight..wonder where he/she is
  • OMG, the host talks too fast
  • OMG, the host pronounced a word incorrectly.
  • OMG, the host eats too much food
  • OMG, the vendor is squishing the food.
  • OMG, the host/vendor is touching the food without gloves
  • OMG, the host is shaving legs or sanding feet/heels
  • OMG, the host is wearing sneakers 
  • OMG, the hosts are unprofessional

And there are hundreds more. Have we become a nation of complainers?  It seems so.

Super Contributor

Sarcasm toward another person should never be acceptable.  Yes, I "get" it but it's still mean. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  You have over ten thousand posts, in all of these post you have never complained one time about a host?