Super Contributor

Re: Not really digging the negative banter between hosts and guests

@Desertdi wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

You either understand sarcasm or you don't.  It's not something you can be taught.  There wasn't even a hint of bullying...it was a form of wit.

@Carmie  Well said

I don't see sarcasm as wit at all.  To me it's a form of passive aggression and can often be considered bullying.

My reaction to that host for many years has been to change the channel.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi  Sarcasm can be "witty" if you know the people and context.  Otherwise, IMO, it can appear to be mean.  Did not see the episode or know the people involved but in general "sarcastic" comments should not be made where the intent could be misinterpreted.

Honored Contributor

So now y'all know why I record certain shows & watch on mute. Never used to have to do that. I could go online to an item and see video and read reviews. Well, some videos don't exist and reviews may be by those who haven't purchased item. Lots of help that is, right?

Respected Contributor

The OP couldn't have been more ambiguous had she tried.

🤔LOL However, it seems to have worked, eliciting the same old host-bashing...from OTHER posters.

What was that about "bullying," again?

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

First let me say I did NOT see the show.

However, I have a tendency (at times) to have a sarcastic sense of humor, at a situation.  I dont think I have ever been sarcastic (joke) to a person.  If I have I did not mean to insult the person just make a funny.  But I have learned that not all people find sarcasm funny no matter the situation.  If a sarcastic joke pops into my head now I keep my mouth shut.

So maybe TV hosting would not be the best time to display the sarcastic sense of humor.

I hope this makes sense as I found it difficult to explain.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Regular Contributor

I totally get sarcasm but when a person goes on and on in a sarcastic way it can get very annoying.... even among friends.  ANYWAY..... QVC wins thanks to Shawn because.... how many people (who are reading this thread) went back to find that video and watched all about the Amazon Fire tablet?  lol!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

Shawn was argumentative as if she were arguing either with Alexa or the presenter about Alexa's response.  Just my opinion.  I don't care how she always is with this presenter, she might need a break from work. The gentleman made the remark about not really friends in an effort to make it as light as possible without being offensive or defensive.  He handled it well. Shawn not so much.  Sorry I do not agree with everyone.  I found her remarks somewhat snide.

I agree. She must be able to sell a tremendous amount.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie   I completely understand.  My husband and I both are sarcastic with each other.  We are also masters of pun.

We have been married for over 46 years, so we are not newly weds.  Occasionally, some one will hear us and jump to the conclusion that one of us is bullying the other or that we had an argument.

Some people just don't get it, they never will and you can't explain it to them. They just are not wired that way.  They have no idea what sarcasm really is and think it is mean.

It probably is best not to use it while on TV.  People who don't get it will think it Is mean and the people are bullying or arguing.

Valued Contributor

@Carmie    Since when did sarcasm become a form of wit? By its very nature, it's a mean-spirited way of putting someone or something down. I find it passive-aggressive and rude. On a par with "Can't you take a joke? I was just kidding."

Honored Contributor

There is sarcasm that is mean.  It is meant to be mean and is not socially exceptable.

The other type of sarcasm is meant to be witty.  I have read that only about 45% of the population understands the wit of sarcasm.  It is something that can't be learned.  You get it or you don't.

If you get it, you can tell the difference between both types.

The comment " Can't you take a joke?  I was just kidding" is not sarcastic at all and is just mean.

I wish I could explain it better, but unfortunally, if you don't get it, you just don't.