Frequent Contributor

I have watched (and loved) QVC since the 1980's.  All the hosts have been professional, informative and generally enjoyable to watch and listen to. 

That is until recently.  The newer hosts are so loud, giddy and just very unprofessional and unpolished. 

I sometimes fall asleep with the TV on QVC, sound is low...This morning, as well as the last few mornings, I was woken up by the schrill, cackle of one of the newer hosts.  She was yelling about jewely, had a rep on with her, and was slumped over the table, resting her head on her hand, occasionally gestering with her hand while he was talking about a jade pendant.

The last month or so, I have just switched the channel when one of the newbies are on.  I just can't stand their loud, screeching voices and the unprofessionalism.

Maybe I'm just getting old...

Honored Contributor

I think it takes time to be comfortable in the host role. Heavens a couple of the established hosts still don't have a smooth delivery. I'm going to give the newbies a chance to settle into their new job, before I criticize them. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I feel it takes time.  They are trying. I am sure it takes alot to do what they do.

Lets give them a chance.  Katie Mcgee was not very good in beginning...now shes doing morning show with Pat !!!

Just my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

While I do agree that the new hosts need some time to get their "stage legs" I do think QVC should hire hosts who can actually speak properly.

Late the other night, I had left the tv on, and there was a new host doing a clothing clearance show. Do not know her name. But it was so grating to the nerves because she could not/would not pronounce the words button and cotton correctly.

It was "buh-in" "caw-in". And it was over and over and over...

Enunciate!

Respected Contributor

i am getting old also, lol

i see the shopping networks are moving away from infomercial stripted.  adding in more impromptu, more casual, more entertainment type of airings.   

usually new hosts get better with time or go.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Trusted Contributor

I realize I have no patience for the new, young hosts.  That tells me I'm too old and have been watching shopping channels way too long! 

Occasional Contributor

I TOTALLY agree!  I do think it takes some time for new hosts to get comfortable...however, if the Q hired experienced hosts, they would not have to go through this adjustment period.  Look at the "seasoned" hosts...they know how to speak correctly, they talk slower without raising their voices to the "screech" zone and they show respect for the vendor (not overtalking them).  Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

It may be true the hosts get better with experience but not always.  Some of the regulars still need polishing!  

I do not care about the hosts, I do not buy because of the host and I do not look at them as friends but as tv personalities on a shopping channel.  I buy items based on my decision, my budget and my taste.  The hosts love every single item they sell, it is their job as sales people to do so .  

I understand watching some hosts is annoying because of their way of presenting etc. and it can be irritating.  I also agree some are loud and obnoxious in their presentations. Perhaps the Q needs a new format but profit rules and that is the bottom line.

Honored Contributor

I think the Q is trying to attract a younger demographic--under 40--but in the meantime I think they will be losing many of their core customers--over 50.

Respected Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

I think the Q is trying to attract a younger demographic--under 40--but in the meantime I think they will be losing many of their core customers--over 50.

You are so right.  I've been with them since they were CVN, and these last five host hires are the worst ever.  One screams and uses stupid phrases.  Like the bomb.com.  But then David uses almost the same. No need for either.  Another can hardly speak on stage at all. She seems too shy to host.  I haven't seen them all, but I think I've seen four of the five and none are worth watching. So I don't.