Esteemed Contributor

Re: Homemade style masks no longer allowed in medical offices

@Kachina624 wrote:

@homedecor1    I might have walked out.  I think that's excessive.

@Kachina624   I know I would have.   THis is why people ae so confused.  First it was no mask, they don't help, then the disposables didn't work as well as the cloth, then it was they should al be 3 layers, now the home made are not good?   This is out of hand if you ask me.  The washing of the face would have made me leave. 

Respected Contributor

I have heard unless the mask is made out of a medical grade material it may not be effective. 

Esteemed Contributor

Those professionals do not want to get sick. They know how bad this virus really is.  They are making sure you do not give it to them or others.

Well done!

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Went to pulmonary doctor today with spouse.  Upon entering medical arts bldg. there were people taking temp, askng questions and then were given new surgical style . They asked you to go in restroom remove your mask, wash face & hands thenput on  the mask they gave you.  No handmade masks are allowed stated on door!

I forgot to ask why??? Perhaps unsanitary and don't provide full protection properties🤷‍♀️

@homedecor1 what do you mean "new surgical style?"  This is what qvc sells, are they acceptable by their standards?

Set of 50 Disposable Face Coverings for Personal Use - V37629

Valued Contributor

The other thing about this medical center, most people shower, wear clean clothes before an appointment as well as putting on a clean facemask. I never leave the house without wearing a fresh, clean mask and as soon as I get home it goes into a tupperware bowl of detergent and hot water and scrubbed with gloved hands and then into a hot dryer.  So, I too think it's a bit excessive but I would comply if I had to.  Not re-washing my face though.  After placing their mask on how in the world would they know anyway? That's just incredibly lame for them to think their patients come in filthy.  

Esteemed Contributor

My hubby had surgery on Tuesday and we both wore homemade masks I made. We were not asked to change.

Honored Contributor

Was everyone keeping "social distance."  IMO more important than what kind of mask is being worn.

Esteemed Contributor

It’s probably because they can’t insure the efficacy of the homemade masks - what they are made of or how many layers, etc.

But I probably wouldn’t think too hard about this. I was wearing a brand new surgical mask when I went to the hospital for my mammogram. Once I walked in the building, I was given a new surgical mask and asked to wear theirs. When I got to the imaging center, they confirmed that I was wearing the mask I was given. Didn’t have me go to a bathroom to change (this is a huge, busy hospital and there were plenty of sanitizer around after all.) They just want to try to provide the safest environment possible.
Honored Contributor

I would expect what you experienced  since homemade masks aren't regulated.

Esteemed Contributor

I know some 'macho' guys that carry a mask in the truck, just in case it is required.  

Not sure how germ free it might be, or not!

I think a fresh, sanitized mask is a great idea!