Honored Contributor

Re: New Purchases from China

@AuntG wrote:

We like the pillows from My Pillow and would get them again. I assume @CalminHeart that the employees are allowed to quit if they feel exploited and can find work in greener pastures.

It has been an employer market for many years.  States and the federal government have removed a lot of worker rights.  Quitting doesn't fix the problem.  You choose where you want to spend your money.  I will choose to spend money with companies that are doing good things for employees and our society.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GenXmuse   There has been so much negative information (propaganda) circulated about China the past few years, one doesn't know what to believe.  I recently saw a video on the infamous Wuhan and it was quite different from what we've been led to believe, with ultramodern, innovative architecture and a spectacular elevated highway system.

Even Canada is barely speaking to us after a flap over our refusal to share medical supplies.

Of course GB is still technically an ally but it seems the less they have to deal with us, the better.

I'm not sure human rights violations are what we've been fed.  Our government has issued as much BS as any other and can no longer be believed.

At least 1/3 of US citizens prefer to go with conspiracy theories and nonsense instead of reality and real facts.  They take someone's word rather than fact checking.  It's hard for me to imagine why these people gave up their critical thinking skills. 

Respected Contributor

My favorite sheets of all time are ''Jennifer Adams'' sheets.  I first discovered them at Costco a few years ago - now, I buy them on Amazon.  I've got a king size set on the way now for $99.   Very soft sheets !!  Sorry, don't know where they are made.

Occasional Contributor

If you go beyond the "made in" tags, you will find that there are about zero products that are totally made in the USA. Even the products that boast "Made in America" tags, most of their fabrics, etc come from China or other countries which have no human rights, child labor, etc. We now owe china about 3 trillion $ after we borrowed the stimulus money from them. We will have to pay that back before we sever any ties with them.

Trusted Contributor

@boxonwheels wrote:

We now owe china about 3 trillion $ after we borrowed the stimulus money from them. We will have to pay that back before we sever any ties with them.

WRONG.   https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/business/coronavirus-stimulus-money.html

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I went to the My Pillow website, hoping his sheets were made here, but they are not.  All it states is, "Imported."

@Puppy Lips   In their TV ads they mention using "fine Egyptian cotton".  Why aren't the using even finer American Supima cotton?

@Kachina624 $$$$$$$. It's probably cheaper.  And if you judge from a lot of responses here, shopping is ALL about price here.  Seems to be a very common response.  People want or maybe need a $10 t-shirt, not a $35 one. 

Occasional Contributor

I agree.   I'm trying to avoid supporting Chi-Com regime as much as possible.   I would rather own one pair of jeans costing $120, than four pairs at $30/each.    As much as I love Temptations cookware and place settings, I've been seeking out American-made (Corelle, for example) whenever possible.   The decisions made by our country over the past 30-50 years have put us all in a precarious position.   Jeans and cookware are one thing -- but when your medical supplies and drugs are mostly sources from China, NOT GOOD.   We have to bring production back to this country.   

Honored Contributor

@rdwarrior wrote:

I agree.   I'm trying to avoid supporting Chi-Com regime as much as possible.   I would rather own one pair of jeans costing $120, than four pairs at $30/each.    As much as I love Temptations cookware and place settings, I've been seeking out American-made (Corelle, for example) whenever possible.   The decisions made by our country over the past 30-50 years have put us all in a precarious position.   Jeans and cookware are one thing -- but when your medical supplies and drugs are mostly sources from China, NOT GOOD.   We have to bring production back to this country.   

@rdwarrior When you get right down to it, the consumers drove those decisions.  If we hadn't made those choices, the mfg would still be here.

So it is up to us to make some noise and buy some US products as we can and make our voices heard at the same time.  Our voices and our wallets. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@rdwarrior wrote:

@rdwarrior When you get right down to it, the consumers drove those decisions.  If we hadn't made those choices, the mfg would still be here.

So it is up to us to make some noise and buy some US products as we can and make our voices heard at the same time.  Our voices and our wallets. 

That is partially true.  But also corporate tax structures and heavy-handed regulations over the past decade made manufacturing companies look outside the USA.  You can't blame all this mess totally on the consumer because that is not true. 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I went to the My Pillow website, hoping his sheets were made here, but they are not.  All it states is, "Imported."

interesting as in his irritating obnoxious commercials he says EVERYTHING is made in Minnesota...