Honored Contributor

Re: New Purchases from China

@GenXmuse   There has been so much negative information (propaganda) circulated about China the past few years, one doesn't know what to believe.  I recently saw a video on the infamous Wuhan and it was quite different from what we've been led to believe, with ultramodern, innovative architecture and a spectacular elevated highway system.

Even Canada is barely speaking to us after a flap over our refusal to share medical supplies.

Of course GB is still technically an ally but it seems the less they have to deal with us, the better.

I'm not sure human rights violations are what we've been fed.  Our government has issued as much BS as any other and can no longer be believed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have said I was going to quit buying things made in China, too. But, its not gonna happen. Too much is made there, and I'm not going to quit buying things. 

As far as Northern Nights, I ordered a set of their sheets. I liked them so well, I ordered 3 more sets. I love this brand. The weight of the sheets I bought is just perfect. They do wrinkle if I don't put them on the bed right away, but during the presentation this was discussed. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

There has been negative info about China circulated over more than the past several years and much of it is reliable. 

Let's not forget the number of people in various locations within China, Singapore and Hong Kong who after disagreeing with China suddently disappear. 

However, if you feel it's all "propaganda" you are more than entitled to your opinion.

Great Britain is more than technically our ally. They are in fact one of our oldest and staunchest allies as is Canada. We have disputes and disagreements because all nations are - rightly so - protective of their national interests. However we are partners and allies as we support and advocate for our common values. 

Two of those primarly values are freedom and equality. Though communism preaches equality - it never in fact results in equality. It always ends in tyranny. 

How could we not oppose a nation that is diametrically opposed to those principles we hold dear and consider foundational to our systems?

We, Canada, GB - none of our countries are perfect. However, if you can't see the difference between those three and China then I don't know that there is much benefit in further discussion on this topic.
Contributor

Kachina624  Your telling Ms Elly not to believe everything you read or hear but that's exactly what you're doing.  Your always on this site having all the "anwers"...

Valued Contributor

The whole world should be angry with China...people in every country have been infected.  We will no doubt continue trade with China but we hopefully have a new realization that we have not been looking out for our own best interest for decades.  How can anyone believe it was a good thing to have so many factories close.  Buy American when we can...we protect ourselves with masks and buying American is just another form of protecting ourselves.  The last time I looked we live in the USA...not communist China and more folks need to remember that when they make their decisions.  Chinese products are here to stay but America matters too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't buy anything from the My Pillow guy even if made in the U.S.  He has quite a reputation of exploiting workers etc.  Lots of big companies do it, I know, but he's been pretty public about it.  

Honored Contributor

We like the pillows from My Pillow and would get them again. I assume @CalminHeart that the employees are allowed to quit if they feel exploited and can find work in greener pastures.

Valued Contributor

I'm with you.

"I never changed, I just learned."
QVC Customer Care

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago, I purchased a set of 300 tc organic, 100% Egyptian cotton sheets made in India.  Every time anyone would touch even one of the pillowcases, they would rant about how soft they were, and they were.  BEST sheets I ever had in my life.  Haven't found any like them since.  I bought them from Bed, Bath & Beyond.  

"I never changed, I just learned."