Honored Contributor

Re: New Purchases from China

I get my sheets from The Company Store which manufactures them in LaCrosse, WI. 

We not be able to get some things made in America like electronics, at the moment, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't cut back where we can though. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. 

China is not a friend to the US. 

Valued Contributor

I believe that we are looking at countries other than China to make clothing etc. I love made in the USA products. We can no longer be dependent on other countries for everything. 

Honored Contributor

@piperbay wrote:

@Ms Elly   The Vermont Country Store has sheets made in Portugal. Very nice but of course you are paying more.

Other than those, I have yet to find sheets not made in China.

@piperbay @Ms Elly TJ Maxx used to sell lots of non-China made bedding.

Trusted Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

We not be able to get some things made in America like electronics, at the moment, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't cut back where we can though. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. 

---     
If only countries that were fond of the U.S, did business. With us, we'd be in once heck of a pickle!

We live  in a global economy. That's the reality, and, I think that ship has sailed too long ago and too far, to go back.

Isolationism, serves no good to anyone.

Valued Contributor

I am all for not buying anything made in China, BUT everything I pick up is made in China. We need to bring manufacturing of goods  back to America, especially our medical supply's. We used to make many things here in the USA. I live in Maine and years ago we had Health Tex and Carter baby clothe's, we had a factory that made mattress's. LL Bean used to have all their products made in the U.S., not anymore. The "famous" LL Bean boot's are now made in China. I won't even buy from LL Bean anymore. I bought my DH 2 pair of LL Bean jeans about 6 months ago, I noticed when I was folding his jean's that they are already coming apart. Years ago their Jeans lasted for years. I would be more than willing to pay extra for better products made here in the U.S.

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

---     
If only countries that were fond of the U.S, did business. With us, we'd be in once heck of a pickle!

We live  in a global economy. That's the reality, and, I think that ship has sailed too long ago and too far, to go back.

Isolationism, serves no good to anyone.

@SuhseK I agree but I still applaud seeking out USA made products and helping manufacturers stay in business and helping more jobs for citizens.  

Also, I think a real effort and government funds should go into revitalizing our pharmaceutical industry.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I went to the My Pillow website, hoping his sheets were made here, but they are not.  All it states is, "Imported."

@Puppy Lips   In their TV ads they mention using "fine Egyptian cotton".  Why aren't the using even finer American Supima cotton?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

China is not a friend to the US

@GenXmuse   Heck, we've alienated every country in the world.  We don't even have Great Brittan as a friend  They can barely tolerate us.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 @SuhseK 

Favoring goods from countries that have humane working practices and who aren't actively working against our national interests is not isolationism.

Whether or not a country is "fond" of us is irrelevant. Also, despite some in the UK disliking some things about our country, they are still our ally. Our countries militaries still work together quite well and we, as countries, mesh well despite our differences because we have more in common (love of freedom and individualism come to mind) than not.

The fact is, many goods from China are poorly made, often hazardous and manufactured on the backs of people who make minimum wage workers in our country look like the nouveaux riche. 

Which practices would you rather support and perpetuate? I'd suggest that's where you spend your money. I'll follow the same principles when spending mine.

Honored Contributor

The idea of American made appeals to me. Not that I hate other countries or am overly political. I'll check out the Company Store. I think they once had a store in Oshkosh, WI near Oshkosh B'Gosh.