Honored Contributor

Name calling is always silly or ridiculous until it's done to you.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I don't think anything was "done" to the OP, which is why most here think her gripe is ridiculous.

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

Oh, brother...

@Bri36

Oh, brother, indeed.  And a big helping of good grief.  Talk about eye-rolling and head-shaking moments.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

********  I agree with your above statement. I don't, however, see this as a case of name calling.  Pat would never, I believe, intentionally hurt anyone.  She has always been a kind and thoughtful host. It is probably a phrase she learned very young  and she doesn't read anything into it.  To insinuate a kind person was name calling when they weren't, imo, is more hurtful than Debbie Downer could ever be. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Keep away from runaround Sue 😎

Woman LOL  LOL! @tucsongal

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

If a grown woman (or man) can’t handle someone using part of their name as a common, not-profane, not 4-letter language, phrase - then they are too delicate to live in our world.

It’s an innocent, light-hearted joke until someone chooses to turn it into something else because they just decide to do so. That does not impress me, it just makes me wince at how self-centered that person is.

Many, many children grew up being teased about some aspect of their name. It wasn’t a big deal then and it isn’t now.

Waaaay too many delicate flowers out there - who are forced to post here about such a subject because they know that if they said the same thing to someone face-to-face that person would laugh their a** off and walk away shaking their head that this is how someone spends their days. 

Instead of the person being too delicate or unable to take a joke,   perhaps it is you who is lacking in compassion and empathy.  What does it hurt you to be nice to someone?

I agree, Debbie Downer, isn't the worst thing in the world.  But if it or some other term hurts someone, why be mean and use it?

@CalminHeart

Debbie Downer is a fictitious character that used to be on Saturday Night Live, not a real person and not directed at people named Debbie... just the one character who was known for her behavior, not her name.

Have you ever heard of Typhoid Mary?  A woman in history who caused a lot of illness, she was a carrier.  There are probably millions of Marys around, we don't hear complaints from them.  Why?  Because it's not a personal insult. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Name Calling

[ Edited ]

Yes, I know about SNL and all kinds of names.  I'm probably older than you and have heard more names than you.  

I'm just saying that people need to be considerate.  If someone doesn't like the name, don't say it.  It's not a matter of being delicate.  It's a matter of courtesy.

Name calling is all fun and games until it's done to you.  

Respected Contributor

The name Debbie Downer is new to me, but I don't get out much.

Esteemed Contributor

Ahy thoughts on Nervous Nellies?

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

********  I agree with your above statement. I don't, however, see this as a case of name calling.  Pat would never, I believe, intentionally hurt anyone.  She has always been a kind and thoughtful host. It is probably a phrase she learned very young  and she doesn't read anything into it.  To insinuate a kind person was name calling when they weren't, imo, is more hurtful than Debbie Downer could ever be. 

My comment was just a general statement, nothing against OP.