Contributor

Re: Models - hands out of pockets!

Very few ever turn fully around to see the backside. I appreciate seeing how a pant falls, how back pockets look, etc. They’re there to model the clothes and really should be okay with showing the rear view.

Also there’s always one model (she’s frequently online in the product photos), who always points her feet inward and half tucks almost everything. It’s very difficult to see what the garment really looks like. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Snickers wrote:

@narcisse   I agree, Either the hands are in the pockets or they wear a jacket over it or it’s belted.  The reverse side of jewelry is seldom shown which is important to me with short hair. So I don’t buy. 

---------------

Speaking of reverse, I remember one time when Kathy Levine was a host.....she asked the model to turn around to present the back side of the garment.  The model said she couldn't because it was pinned at the back to fit her!  Kathy cracked up and said something like viewers would be surprised at all the size 'fixes' that goes on for fashion shows.

Honored Contributor

There are very few models the Q uses that I would consider the classic professional model. Years ago customers wanted women modeling the fashions that looked like them and that's exactly what they got.When a vendor has to ask the models to turn and walk around to show the garment, well enough said.

Trusted Contributor

Seriously.

dee

@narcisse wrote:

I've noticed a trend wherein the models constantly keep their hands in the pockets of dresses that have pockets.  Personally, I would like to see how the dress falls and fits the silhouette without hands in pockets.

This was really out of control on the recent Susan Graver TSV.  It was an a-line dress that Susan bragged was slimming and framed the body.  How was anyone supposed to see that when most of the models constantly kept both hands in the pockets?  This was particularly apparent on the plus size models.

Yes, pockets are nice, but once the host has mentioned it and we the viewers have indeed seen models with hands in the pockets - for the love of peppermint, take the hands out of the pockets so we can see how the dress falls.

Never did get that TSV as I had zero idea of how it looked on a plus size.  Myself nor anyone else that I know walks around with our hands in pockets 80% of the time.  Most of the time, your hands are not going to be in pockets.  Enough of this madness.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

There are very few models the Q uses that I would consider the classic professional model. Years ago customers wanted women modeling the fashions that looked like them and that's exactly what they got.When a vendor has to ask the models to turn and walk around to show the garment, well enough said.

I think the models stay pretty much in place because the camera guy has a script of where the models will be standing. The camera folks don't do well following the action when the host, vendor or models decide to improvise, especially if it's a close up and then people start moving out of camera range. I have seen the hosts apologize to the camera person for changing things up.

Trusted Contributor

Totally agree,when they put hands in pockets looks terrible.

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I am sure there was a sufficent amount of time when their hands were not in their pockets. 

I would agree. And dresses so rarely have pockets that I would think keeping the hands in them to make their presence known would be a big selling point. The host isn't going to say it every other sentence, but having it shown makes an impact.