Frequent Contributor
Mispronunciations and overuse of words by the hosts are what bother me. I realize change is what is constant, but IMHO, journalist and on air media should abide by the “proper” usage and pronunciation of the current times. The show guest can appeal to the audience if their choosing as it is their products and target market. But the QVC hosts should use proper English. One reason is that audiences are quite diverse in age, taste, geographical regions, etc. in other words, pronounce the word as com’ par a ble, not com par’
able, is the correct pronunciation. Even if your age, regional dialect, or whatever group pronounced the word differently, it is still okay to hear it pronounced properly. If a host uses a colloquialism, it may be bothersome to those not in the area of that usage. I have begun to change the channel when a jost uses the word ‘iconic’ more than once in any show. Most everything is not ‘iconic.’
Occasional Contributor

Ever hear Wendy Williams use her "made up" words during her show.  I love it, shes a hoot!

Honored Contributor

Kim over uses this term. I think she thinks it makes her look like an expert....NOT

Honored Contributor

@Lottapaws wrote:
Mispronunciations and overuse of words by the hosts are what bother me. I realize change is what is constant, but IMHO, journalist and on air media should abide by the “proper” usage and pronunciation of the current times. The show guest can appeal to the audience if their choosing as it is their products and target market. But the QVC hosts should use proper English. One reason is that audiences are quite diverse in age, taste, geographical regions, etc. in other words, pronounce the word as com’ par a ble, not com par’
able, is the correct pronunciation. Even if your age, regional dialect, or whatever group pronounced the word differently, it is still okay to hear it pronounced properly. If a host uses a colloquialism, it may be bothersome to those not in the area of that usage. I have begun to change the channel when a jost uses the word ‘iconic’ more than once in any show. Most everything is not ‘iconic.’

@Lottapaws 

If I remember correctly (and I'm not sure I do 😉), at one time media personalities--radio and television--went to school to learn to pronounce words, enunciate correctly, and to lose any regional accent they might have.

The idea was to all sound the same, like they were from "the middle of the country".

Trusted Contributor

If a host came out and began speaking in a language I didn't understand, that would be annoying. 

A host pronouncing a word differently than I do, or using a word, in a way I might not, isn't even a blip, on my radar! 

My hometown, is Spokane.  I can't tell you how many times, I've heard it mispronounced 🥴

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Kachina624 Some doctoral student in linguistics somewhere could do a thesis on how salespeople on tv change our language.  

As to where the questioned use of fabrication beyond in  manufacturing and lying, I wonder.  Maybe a word search of Women's Wear Daily or some other industry publication would reveal its early source. 

Somehow I doubt a QVC host or vendor was its earliest user although I will admit I loved Shawn's coining of new words and expressions when she was a newbie.  

@millieshops   What are you talking about???  Is she lying???   If so, about what.  I don't understand your statement at all.

Honored Contributor

There is some secret reason they do this, I just gave up and don't worry about it.  

Trusted Contributor

@KatieB, fabrication is also used when someone fabricates a story - or lies. They are discussing the use and misuse of that word. No biggie.

Respected Contributor

Re: Misuse of Words

[ Edited ]

SuhseK, I always mispronounced "Spokane" until I heard it spoken in the movie "Housekeeping." I would want to know the truth!

Valued Contributor

I am the daughter of a "bespoke tailor".....(Look it up)...The word in question is "fabric".....material...NOT Fabrication...If they want to be a master of their trade use the correct language.