Contributor

How can we get Kim Gravel, and others, to stop using the word fabrication when describing a fabric?  The word is fabric, the actual making of the fabric could be fabricaton.

Esteemed Contributor

It annoys me as much as it does you so........I don't watch her.  Fabrication sounds so dumb and uneducated to my ear. 

Saying fabric or ..........a "blend" of........cotton, rayon, etc.

Respected Contributor

@MrW 

I rarely watch QVC, but I have noticed the misuse of the word.  It sounds ridiculous to my ear, but several seem to use the term frequently.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

She is Not using the word Wrong. The word Fabrication has MORE than one meaning.  It Does mean to Manufacture BUT... the more common understanding today is to Manufacture a Falsehood.  If it was me, I wouldn't use a word that has ANY negative connotations  when trying to sell a product, no matter how "widely read" it may make me seem.

Honored Contributor

The use of the word "fabrication" for fabric is now used industry wide.  Kim was far from being the first person to use it but it's now the accepted term.  I'd like to know how this got started.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I spent my whole working life as part of the "word police."  Right now I'm more interested in the intent to be accurate than I am in the choice of words. More important, I don't believe her word choice did much to limit sales.

I actually watched most of Kim's show with Amy last night.  First time I stayed with any clothing show for more than 30 seconds since early in 2020.  Although I didn't buy even the top I liked best, I don't believe Kim's word choice hurt her.  Seemed to me many items sold out or if not out, sold extremely well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The use of the word "fabrication" for fabric is now used industry wide.  Kim was far from being the first person to use it but it's now the accepted term.  I'd like to know how this got started.

@Kachina624  I would too as it drives me nuts! 

Honored Contributor

I'd rather hear less of the terms she uses such as "loins."  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Some doctoral student in linguistics somewhere could do a thesis on how salespeople on tv change our language.  

As to where the questioned use of fabrication beyond in  manufacturing and lying, I wonder.  Maybe a word search of Women's Wear Daily or some other industry publication would reveal its early source. 

Somehow I doubt a QVC host or vendor was its earliest user although I will admit I loved Shawn's coining of new words and expressions when she was a newbie.  

Honored Contributor

@rms1954.  Maybe she's trying to be biblical?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment