Trusted Contributor

Re: Merchandising For The Mature Woman

I'm what one would consider " mature" and I find plenty of things to buy at QVC for work and otherwise.  Many companies have gone to more casual dress code within the last few years including mine which now even includes jeans.  My niece is a lawyer and only wears a jacket in court. 

I think this post is more about styles and less about age or maturity level.  As pointed out, Chico's, Talbots and Nordstrom offer alternatives.  Lord & Taylor has been out of business for over 2 years now and even though they have reinstated a website, what they sell there makes every single thing QVC sells look higher than high end.  

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Daffney    I read post after post here complaining that QVC clothing design is too matronly and I, a matron, agree that it often is.  I personally think, however, that they have a nice mix to offer something for everyone.  In 20 years many of the present older customers will be gone and QVC management is trying to appeal to the younger generation in both the styling and type of merchandise they carry with the hope of making many permanent customers.

I am 66 and my friend is 70 - she mentioned recently about this same subject "we're in THEIR world now."  I remember my 90+ mom complaining about finding cute tops. I said Mom, it's not the 80s anymore - Alfred Dunner and Koret are practically non-existent.  It is kind of sad!  PS I shop anywhere - I don't care.  I have an Old Navy flowered t-shirt on now with a black skort.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I’m a few years away from being eligible for AARP and I outspend my mother on QVC by a wide margin.
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Daffney It is agains the rules to post the same exact thing on more than one forum, even if you change the heading. 

Just what the world needs, more word and post police.

Esteemed Contributor

@Daffney wrote:

I direct this complaint, hopefully with a resolution, to your merchandising staff who have totally ignored the generation that has made QVC what it is today..  The lack of fashion for the more mature audience is almost nonexistant; it is geared to a much younger age group with trendy styles that would look rediculous on the more mature, professional, cosmopolitan woman although you attempt to convince us otherwise; sadly, I have seen some women try to pull it off.  I would say Susan Graver comes very close to meeting our needs; however, it is only recently she is addressing causal wear.  We are relegated to Talbots, Chico's,  Lord & Taylor, Nordstroms, and other rather expensive brick and mortar stores. To a lesser degree, shoes are also an issue. We are here, and we have money to spend.  Unfortunately, QVC does not seem interested in this segment of the viewing audience.

If you're looking towarded tailored clothing from QVC, I would suggest surfing QVC.com. QVC offers much more online than what is presented on camera.  Many brands don't get aired.

Super Contributor

And I actually think that QVC's fashions are too matronly, old-fashioned and so not on trend. Most of the clothing they show is so outdated, my 81 year old mother wouldn't even wear them!
Valued Contributor

I for one, at almost 73, don't want granny clothes.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Daffney    I read post after post here complaining that QVC clothing design is too matronly and I, a matron, agree that it often is.  I personally think, however, that they have a nice mix to offer something for everyone.  In 20 years many of the present older customers will be gone and QVC management is trying to appeal to the younger generation in both the styling and type of merchandise they carry with the hope of making many permanent customers.

I am 66 and my friend is 70 - she mentioned recently about this same subject "we're in THEIR world now."  I remember my 90+ mom complaining about finding cute tops. I said Mom, it's not the 80s anymore - Alfred Dunner and Koret are practically non-existent.  It is kind of sad!  PS I shop anywhere - I don't care.  I have an Old Navy flowered t-shirt on now with a black skort.  

You mentioned Alfred Dunner. Belk's still has a large collection of Alfred Dunner. They are very reasonably priced when their clothes are on sale. I just bought some pull on jeans in their brand (I especially like the non-see through white), and they fit perfectly. They do not ride down in the back like my last pair of Denim & Co. jeans tended to do. 

Super Contributor

If I can throw in my two cents... I prefer vintage clothing. Just me. I have to go to sites like Ebay, Mercari, Poshmark, Thredup, and Swap for that. I also check out our local secondhand shops. Maybe the OP will find more styles of her tastes at these websites or at a local consignment shop? 

Don't get me wrong. I find some nice clothes/styles on QVC, HSN, and other great department stores sometimes. However, if you want more of yesterday's styles, you'll more than likely have to go secondhand. 

Honored Contributor

Just a couple of my thoughts.

I am 68 and think a lot of the "mature" clothes offered on Q are stereotyped granny clothes. The last thing I want is to look like an old fashioned granny.

I do not think Q is comparable to Nordstroms, Talbots, and Lord & Taylor.  A lot of people can't afford those stores but do shop Kohl's, Penneys, Target, WalMart, etc. 

I don't like gawdy prints and horizontal stripes.

I don't wear polyester (or whatever SG and others want to call it) - it's like wearing a plastic bag to me.

I want more cotton and natural blends. They can be wrinkle free if Q wants to buy from decent manufacturers.

Prices? I can find almost everything (or almost identical) that Q sells for less elsewhere. 

Lighten up on the spandex. A little is ok but not everything needs so much or even any spandex.