New Contributor

Re: Martha Stewart needs presentation coaching.

Hi

No need to be snarky. Martha's ability to market herself and her products wasn't in question. Quite obviously she & marketing team know what they are doing. Duh!

However, QVC has a specific format for "hawking" their products and Martha seemed appeared a little "dotty" power washing everything in sight and not stopping to engage with the callers who are the marketing target. not the items she was washing.

Personally, I think Martha is brilliant and funny/

Regular Contributor

@leenie louwrote:

Just watched Martha & Mary DeAngles present TSV. Mary does such a great job. But Martha was so intent on power washing everything she was ignoring the calls from the customers and appeared mesmerized with her tasks. It was difficut to hear the caller over the sound of the washer. Thank heavens Mary was there to speak for Martha with the customer. Its necessary to demonstrate the power and versatility of the item but not to the point where the caller is ignored while Martha was in a trance-like state washing everything.

Oh, I know what you mean.  Martha had crafting items on HSN a while back and it was the same thing.  She never seemed comfortable using and demonstrating the cutters or other craft tools. It was up to the host to keep the conversation going.  

Martha does appear to have good concentration skills, but it is "live" TV. And I doubt she does any of her own yard/gardening work which might explain her awkwardness. 

Ever watch Martha's PBS cooking shows.  She rarely tastes the food, and seems somewhat limited in her knowledge of actual techniques.  But, we must remember that Martha is not a professionally trained chef such as Julie Child.  

Plain and simple, Martha is an entrepreneur and she is fantastic at that!  Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

@leenie louwrote:

Hi

No need to be snarky. Martha's ability to market herself and her products wasn't in question. Quite obviously she & marketing team know what they are doing. Duh!

However, QVC has a specific format for "hawking" their products and Martha seemed appeared a little "dotty" power washing everything in sight and not stopping to engage with the callers who are the marketing target. not the items she was washing.

Personally, I think Martha is brilliant and funny/

@leenie lou I didn't see anyone here being "snarky," and like other contributors here, I didn't see Martha "ignoring" the callers in the presentation you referenced.  I think you may just be interpreting things through a critical filter.  

Esteemed Contributor

@MoodeeFanYou apparently haven't watched any of Martha Stewart's TV programs. She's an excellent hostess and decorator, skilled seamstress, accomplished cook and baker who has studied in France, and is a Master Gardener who has done her own gardening and loves it! Granted, with three homes, she oversees the gardening of most responsibilities now, but I'll bet you she will never give it up completely. She's the epitome of the perfect homemaker, carpenter, craftsperson and so much more rolled into one woman! That's Martha. She's an amazing, talented woman who began as a model. She's come a long way and has worked very hard. Kudos to her.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLadywrote:

@MoodeeFanYou apparently haven't watched any of Martha Stewart's TV programs. She's an excellent hostess and decorator, skilled seamstress, accomplished cook and baker who has studied in France, and is a Master Gardener who has done her own gardening and loves it! Granted, with three homes, she oversees the gardening of most responsibilities now, but I'll bet you she will never give it up completely. She's the epitome of the perfect homemaker, carpenter, craftsperson and so much more rolled into one woman! That's Martha. She's an amazing, talented woman who began as a model. She's come a long way and has worked very hard. Kudos to her.  

@BirkiLady- ITA with you. Martha has done everything herself at one time or another, and still does many things herself.  Martha is in many ways a perfectionist. She has always been that way. Way back when she first came onto the scene, she did do everything herself. From cooking to gardening to decorating and homemaking. She built her business from the ground up. So those that say she doesn't do things herself, don't know what they are talking about.  Granted now she has gardeners, chefs and cooks, etc. She needs people with good eyes to help run her businesses and homes. I'm very happy she employes so many creative people.  "She's come a long way and has worked very hard." ITA BirkiLady, and I'll add, Continued success and long life to you Martha. You are the best at what you do.

Honored Contributor

Martha isn't going to change. She brings in the cash.

People either like or they don't.

I like Martha's presentations.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I happen to like MS's presentations because of her calming demeanor and extensive knowledge, which I truly admire. Many here have elaborated on her expertise and they are absolutely right about this very smart and creative woman. She presents very good shows and I have enjoyed watching her since she came to QVC. Was never a fan of MS although always loved her products and am now really enjoying her on QVC in her presentations. MS reminds me of someone I know very well, they are much alike in the way they approach life and take it all in! Yes the hosts fawn over her and it is obvious! 

There are snarky comments (whether some of you see them as snarky or not) that do not add anything to the forum conversations except attitude.  The OP has the right to her opinion whether "we" readers like it or not. I don't and won't bother to comment sometimes because of the nastiness that creeps into these forums.....   I don't come here to read nasty remarks, I come here to have conversation.  

Esteemed Contributor

She's actually a breath of fresh from the other female vendors who talk at the top of lungs, sing and dance to sell their products.

Regular Contributor

@BirkiLadywrote:

Here is what the PBS bio for Martha says in part: "Raised in Nutley, New Jersey, in a family with six children, Martha developed her passion for cooking, gardening and homekeeping at an early age. Her mother taught her the basics of cooking, baking, canning, and sewing; her father introduced her to gardening at the age of three.

Martha earned a bachelor’s degree in history and architectural history at Barnard College. Upon graduating, she became a stockbroker on Wall Street, where she gained her early business training. After moving to Westport, Connecticut, in 1972, she developed a catering business that showcased her remarkable talent and originality. Her unique visual presentation of food and the elegant recipes she created for her catered events were the basis for her first book, Entertaining, published in 1982. "

Don't misunderstand, I enjoy watching MS cooking shows on PBS.  Those shows are edited and "live" TV is very different. Because of her Wall Street jobs, she developed a supeior busniess acumen.   More power to women in business!Woman Very Happy

QVC Customer Care